Two Simrad 7 inches in Grady 228. Possible?

Pighunter

Reaction score
No, I paid Johnson Hicks to do it all. I've seen what owner done wiring can look like and I wanted something better than that.
I assume they just put a gasket behind it, and it could be removed and put back to stock?

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your setup??
I will, however it will be a few days I just put my boat in storage for the winter. I have a few things to do next week and will try to remember to snap a few pictures.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i too am in the flush mount camp.

When I owned a 226, I put an 11” Lowrance in there and had room to spare. A 12” Simrad should fit.

Access to the back of the unit on that boat is easy. The box flips down from the rear from inside the cuddly.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
i too am in the flush mount camp.

When I owned a 226, I put an 11” Lowrance in there and had room to spare. A 12” Simrad should fit.

Access to the back of the unit on that boat is easy. The box flips down from the rear from inside the cuddly.

Can you share a pic of your flush mount? I think I might have saved it already but debating on how to do the panel. Either on top (over the lip) or recessed where the current hatch is (on the lip).

Think most folks do on top...

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is what I did in my 208, wanted to keep the storage space for product manuals etc. So the flush mount is on hinges with a spring hatch to hold it open.
IP4k2ic.jpg

O4xtkUF.jpg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How thick is the panel? What arm did you use for support?

That was my original plan but I didn’t think the hinges would fit with the units but I’ll measure again.

I like the carpet piece you have in there. My dad did that with my boat when I was a kid. Very clean...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I’ll find a pic of mine and post it up. 1/4” acrylic or starboard works perfectly. Basically it mimics the size of the door opening. 8 screws holds it in place.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the panel is about 1/2 inch routed on the back side to fit the profile of the box and just a spring latch support to hold it open. Could not find the original hinges locally so went with stainless. Put a small handle on front to lift with a catch to hold it in place when down (unnecessary) as the weight of the gps holds it in place. have changed it up since the photo and have a 7 inch Furuno beside the Lowrance. A tight fit but doable.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok...I was struggling understanding what you did as underneath it looks really thick but fits in that recess rather than over the top. Thought the pics were playing an optical illusion on me

Pighunter

Reaction score
Where are you putting the 12? Hardtop?
I mounted my Simrad 12 on the hard top next to the elect. box It's not bad there but I would rather have it right in front of me.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is there a 12in that can actually fit flush mounted in the electronics box without modifying? Seems like the vertical length of the back would be about a 1/4in too tall to fit...

Maybe Grady made the opening bigger as the years went on

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From the measurements I see online and actual measurements I have, I see the 12 just fitting height wise. It should pair up with the equipment I have installed already. Not flush mount but bracket mount.

Reactions: Blaugrana

wrxhoon

Reaction score
John ,
The measurements you have from Bluebottle are correct . I have a Simrad 12 evo 3 that I bought from Bluebottle ( they are close to me ) when I got my new 228.
I can't tell how well it will fit in the box though. I bracket mount mine on the top of the dash because I want to be able to see it from the rear part of the deck .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Jerry!

It'll be a winter project. I'll make due this week with the Carbon's. They've never really worked well from day 1. May be why they no longer have them available.

OMER

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I mounted my Simrad 12 on the hard top next to the elect. box It's not bad there but I would rather have it right in front of me.
I use a RAM MOUNT for a SOLIX 12 that allows to see the map and the road at the same timeIMG_20200628_163050.jpeg

Reactions: Denko