Update on cabin rod-racks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Whoever acquired the ones Capt Bill made up and cut it into two pieces for a hinge(s) to retract, what hinges did you use?

Those original (6 total) friction hinges on mine by southco are an arm and a leg and need replacement, rather put it into a new reel and rod or keep my arm and leg !

Thanks

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
bc282 said:
all the old pics on this thread seem to be removed and unavailable.
thinking about adding cabin rod-racks to my 282, but would love to see these in action.

can some members post pics of you cabin rod-racks?

capt bill, do you still have a line on these rod-racks?

I do not have any more of these rod-racks. I did have one extra pair made, at that time, but have sonce sold them to another forum member. We had to order these in quantity, in order to get the price down, as I think the local dealer wanted $400 or so, for the factory setup, and I don't know if that even included hinges and bungies.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BobP said:
Whoever acquired the ones Capt Bill made up and cut it into two pieces for a hinge(s) to retract, what hinges did you use?

Those original (6 total) friction hinges on mine by southco are an arm and a leg and need replacement, rather put it into a new reel and rod or keep my arm and leg !

Thanks

Bob, I bought a set of regular stainless steel hinges in Ace Hardware, for mine. They are not friction, but could probably be tightened up some to keep them from flopping open and closed, when no rods are in place. I've heard of some that just used angle aluminum for mounting brackets, and did not allow them to fold flat. Another possibility would be using regular hinger, (I like stainless), and cutting a piece of 1/4" round fiberglass (old fishing rod), to snap in between the two rod holders, to keep them open (provided the rear rod rack is hinged to fold forward; the other to fold back).

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Captbill, is the source that made these up still around? Maybe we can get a few folks interested and get some more made up? I would like some for sure. Sorry if I missed this answer somewhere already.

bc282

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a rack for my 282. :mrgreen:
Or does anyone have a template as I'm sure I could fab one from starboard with jigsaw, router, and a planer?

ROBERTH said:
Captbill, is the source that made these up still around? Maybe we can get a few folks interested and get some more made up? I would like some for sure. Sorry if I missed this answer somewhere already.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
bc282 said:
I'd be interested in a rack for my 282. :mrgreen:
Or does anyone have a template as I'm sure I could fab one from starboard with jigsaw, router, and a planer?

ROBERTH said:

Same here. anybody have pics? I can't get the the earlier ones from this thread to show. Perhaps they were deleted from wherever they were stored.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I may still have a template, or could make one, but give me a few days. Brian (gw204) made the template for me, back when I was trying to get some RR made. He traced the rod racks from his '93 Sailfish, which are not exactly the same as the more recent Sailfish RR. So the racks I had made were not a quick fit. There was still some trimming on the back (hinge side) needed, but nothing that required any special tools.

If you are ok with having a template from a '93, I can do that.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, for sure. With a '92, should be the same. :D

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CaptBill, how's ya do'in? Any luck on the template? Just checking in case I missed out. No rush....appreciate your help on this! :)

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Apologies to all for the delays. I have been too busy with so many things not boating related, that I haven't even got my Grady in until yesterday, and then had to haul her right back out, due to a stuck T-stat.

I will trace the rod-racks onto some kind of paper material that can be rolled up, and mailed. So how shall I do this? Mail to one of you guys, who can mail to the next guy, etc. If there's not too many, I guess I can make several tracings, and mail to each. I wonder if it is ok to fold them flat for a big envelope, or maybe I need to make a trip to Staples for some mailing tubes.

Any suggestions?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think folding it will be fine. Didn't think of the logistics involved for you on this one! :(

How many folks need this? I am one.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In order to fit, one just needs two flat surfaces veritically on cabin wall, one well forwad and one back.

The holder is two rods wide by two high, and folds flat against the cabin wall as original, but doesn't have to fold if you have no space adjacent or always leave it extended as I do.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CaptnBill, I would be happy to help in any way I can. If you get one made up and send to me, I will try to make any copies and send out to others if requested.

For Richierich, not sure if these will fit an '88.

gw204

Reaction score
I made the original templates out of brown construction paper that I had my wife pick up from Walmart or something. Folded them up and stuck them in regular business size envelopes if I remember correctly.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
gw204 said:
Capt Bill said:
Any suggestions?

Update your profile picture. That's not your dock. :wink:

Yea, I know it's old and outdated, but still a cool pic. I'll get a new one up after I get her back in her slip, but I have a lot of cleanup work to do here, once this storm rolls out of here. Then I'll need to replace the other water pump, and put everything back together.

re: the rodrack templates, I will get some template paper, and get them traced on Monday. Somebody PM or email an address, and I'll get a template mailed out this week.

Best of luck, and I hope everyone gets thru this storm unscathed.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt Bill, sent you a PM!

Storm force me to do the first long tow 3 hours from Morehead City to Raleigh. She is a rig for sure to tow, but all went well! Just one broken bow ratchet strap! It seems it sliced on the frame. Drilled and mounted an Eye Bolt this time for a much safer and direct pull down on the bow so she will stay put on the tow back!

Hope everyone came out ok on this storm! Lots of debris to clean up in Raleigh, just leaves and twigs, but not complaining as former Floyd and Fran were much worse!