What is this and how serious is it?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The surveyor went out and inspected the 228 Seafarer I’ve been looking at yesterday and found this? What is it and how serious is that crack? It looks like some sort of structural support from what I can tell. The seller and I negotiated a price at $32k for the boat, motor and trailer dependent on a favorable survey. The boat is a 2003, motor is a 2004 Yamaha 225 4 stroke with 500 hours. Trailer is a dual axle 2005 galvanized trailer. That being said, the boat and trailer both need more work than previously thought. The boat has the issue pictured as well as a soft spot up front where the bow cleats are, and a soft spot in the back as well as those spots having some water intrusion readings on the water meter. The radar doesn’t work… seller says it’s just “not plugged in”, neither bilge pump works, horn doesn’t work, some of the lights don’t work, the pump for the raw water wash down doesn’t work and so on.

The boat also doesn’t have cabin cushions and the canvas that it has the seller says will likely need to be replaced in the very near future. It doesn’t come with downriggers so I’d have to buy those as well. The trailer needs the bearings replaced and possibly tires, unknown if all the lights work on it or not. Supposedly the brakes on the trailer do work. My thought is if I pay $32k then I’m at $35k after tax and then have to transport the boat out to Seattle from the east coast. With all of the potential issues I’ll need to fix, it sounds like it’s possibly not worth the price. I was thinking about re-negotiating and offering $30k, but to be honest that still seems a bit high. What do you guys think? I have some more pictures if needed. Thanks!

Attachments

• C2420872-8610-4A62-B86E-3717C06C7344.jpeg
    C2420872-8610-4A62-B86E-3717C06C7344.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 206

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Sounds like a lot of work ahead. At that price, I’d probably want most of those things working. Make sure you have good insurance coverage on the boat and trailer before transport.

the crack looks like interior transom but would make me definitely want to investigate that further. Does it have a bracket off the transom for the outboard(s)?

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like a lot of work ahead. At that price, I’d probably want most of those things working. Make sure you have good insurance coverage on the boat and trailer before transport.

the crack looks like interior transom but would make me definitely want to investigate that further. Does it have a bracket off the transom for the outboards?
It does. It’s a 228 so it has the transom bracket for the outboard. The surveyor says he didn’t see it flex on acceleration but it seems like it would need to be fixed at some point or it could become a bigger problem, and I think it would definitely impact the potential resale value.

Sailfish

Reaction score
Given the number of things that don't work, I would worry about the level of maintenance the boat received. Softness combined with lack of cushions point to long term water intrusion. All of the non working electrical points to the current owner not caring about upkeep. What else doesn't work, is about to fail from lack of care? That is impossible to know.

Agree with Pointed Rose, that the crack looks structural. It is not possible to know what the total cost to repair is until tearing it apart. I don't know what market is for 228s of that vintage, but unless this one was half, I would pass.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. I’m pretty frustrated because the seller said everything pretty much worked and the boat was in great shape. I spent almost $700 on the survey to have it done and now the condition of the boat is quite different from how it was advertised. I think I’ll make a low offer and see what he says. If he says no, then I’ll quickly walk away.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with the others. That crack in the support brace, is structural.The brace runs the width of the transom. Soft spots in an '03 indicate lack of care and maintenance on the boat. With everything else that doesn't work, throws up a bunch of red flags. Even though the market is crazy right now, the asking price is in left field considering the issues noted. If everything was in working order and showed as a used boat that had been well cared for, then the asking price could be acceptable. As it is now, no way. $700 well spent. Keep looking,,, it'll happen.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with the others. That crack in the support brace, is structural.The brace runs the width of the transom. Soft spots in an '03 indicate lack of care and maintenance on the boat. With everything else that doesn't work, throws up a bunch of red flags. Even though the market is crazy right now, the asking price is in left field considering the issues noted. If everything was in working order and showed as a used boat that had been well cared for, then the asking price could be acceptable. As it is now, no way. $700 well spent. Keep looking,,, it'll happen.
Exactly! If it was as advertised and everything worked on it and was in better condition then I’d have no issue spending the $32k. That being said, it’s going to cost money to fix the trailer just to get it out here. It’s going to cost money just to drive it out here and then there’s taxes on the purchase and all of the repairs that need to be done to it. Then it still doesn’t have cabin cushions. If it was $25k I think I’d be more tempted but at $32k it’s just not worth the roll of the dice. Thanks again everyone, I definitely agree I’d rather spend the money on a survey to make sure it’s not a junker and is a decent purchase. Here is the Craigslist posting for anyone interested.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you got lucky having a full survey. The water line marks at the stern would have me concerned. You will find one, you just have to be patient...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you got lucky having a full survey. The water line marks at the stern would have me concerned. You will find one, you just have to be patient...

I hadn't looked at the pictures. Yeah, definitely an issue going on. Could have been the fact the bilge pump didn't work, dead batteries, leaking deck plates and she was filling up with water. Total lack of care for the boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lol turn key!...I love how people don't fully disclose stuff on their for sale ads... My conscience wouldn't let me false advertise stuff I sell I wouldn't be able to live with myself
Yeah… I guess his definition of “turn key” is quite a bit different from yours or mine. And that was my other thought… I wouldn’t want to try and sell someone a subpar boat that I wasn’t happy with, especially if there were serious issues with it. I would feel terrible about that.

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah… I guess his definition of “turn key” is quite a bit different from yours or mine. And that was my other thought… I wouldn’t want to try and sell someone a subpar boat that I wasn’t happy with, especially if there were serious issues with it. I would feel terrible about that.
Exactly..... This Grady is my 7th (and final!) Boat and I FILLY DISCLOSED eveey problem even stupid shit That's irrelevant to safety

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with posts here. Sometimes you just have to eat the cost of a survey and walk until you find a decent boat. Money well spent, if there you likely learned a lot during the survey so not a total loss. As one said, a small investment to walk from a problem.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
It's no guarantee, but at that price point and age I would strongly consider boats not kept in the water. Dry stacked or stored under cover or inside only. Seafarers shouldn't be hard to find meeting that criteria. For that age and price point the gelcoat should be shiny and the boat should be very clean. That boat is neither. Find something else, but make sure it passes some minimum criteria before paying for a survey. There are a lot of far better Seafarers out there.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. I’m pretty frustrated because the seller said everything pretty much worked and the boat was in great shape. I spent almost $700 on the survey to have it done and now the condition of the boat is quite different from how it was advertised. I think I’ll make a low offer and see what he says. If he says no, then I’ll quickly walk away.
I'd just walk away. My first boat was a Triumph, seller said the same thing, I didn't even know enough to get it surveyed. I spent 2 years trying to get that boat to run, gave up, sold it for a $15,000 loss and then went overboard and bought a brand new 228. Which I adore.

I know it is possible to find good condition Grady's out there, I have fished with a friend who spent less on his 27 foot CC Grady than I spent on my 228. His boat is 7 years old but it looks and runs like it is brand new. So it's possible but this boat looks like heartache. If you are young and healthy and have a lot of spare time, sure, lowball. If you want turnkey you need to keep looking.

All my opinion, worth what you paid for it, etc, just don't be me and get screwed, it's no fun.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That boat is a money pit, and I think you will forever regret buying it. Survey money well spent; he saved you thou$$$$ands of dollars and a lot of grief.

Some years ago, I was on the hunt for a 29 Blackfin FB. I had one surveyed in Michigan (fresh-water boat... what could go wrong!). So many issues, I walked.
I had another one surveyed in S.C. I was there during the process, so he showed me what he found as he went along. Halfway through the survey, he turned to me and said how about let's call it half price, and we both go home.
Next one finally was a good one. Keep looking.

Reactions: family affair

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does it have any electronics you like? You’d be into it a pile of money before you had everything fixed up the way you want it. Likely ton of rewire, both structural and cosmetic fiberglass / gel coat work. Once you have done all that I’ll be about worth what you would pay right now. That motor may be great, but it definitely needs to be surveyed for corrosion and if it sat for a long amount of time it could need plenty of work. Sea trial should not be optional. You better see that motor running Other than in someone’s driveway on a hose.

run run run!

/e. If you want laugh, take a look at this thread for my 272 restoration. I bought it site unseen based on assurances from the selling party and a survey done by his old friend. :cool:

For reference, I paid less for that 272 than your seller is asking for the Seafarer. I realize that it was more than a year ago, so the market was different. Nonetheless I was able to invest approximately another 40% beyond the purchase price and still come out ahead.

Last edited: