What should I do?

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
what should I do

If it were me I would talk to the sales manager and give them the opportunity to come to some sort of understanding to make you happy. If the sales co. refuses to cooperate then you can file a formal complaint, with a lawyer, the Better Buisness B in your area or contact the state Consumer section of your local government. Both of these organizations are very pro consumer. Marty

SlimJim

Reaction score
I am sorry, you were lied to and a huge big lie at that. You were buying the boat thinking it had 671 hours on eack engine and they have 1300 hours? Your resale value just went down the toilet! What if you need to unload the boat or just want to unload her? You will have a much harder time selling her at 1300 hours then 671 hours. Thats like 5 to 7 more seasons run on those engines. Good Luck. They really should give you some money back.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SlimJim said:
I am sorry, you were lied to and a huge big lie at that. You were buying the boat thinking it had 671 hours on eack engine and they have 1300 hours? Your resale value just went down the toilet! What if you need to unload the boat or just want to unload her? You will have a much harder time selling her at 1300 hours then 671 hours. Thats like 5 to 7 more seasons run on those engines. Good Luck. They really should give you some money back.

I agree, seems many are telling you "Oh well, it is a great deal, use the boat and be happy, regardless."

Double the hours? That is ridiculous in my opinion. There are just not a plehtora of 4s for sale with those kind of hours, maybe in a few years people will be less wary when they see high hours, but I think alot of people move right past a boat with 1000+ hours on it. Even so, if you put the majority of those hours on her, well you can be totally fine with 1000+ hours as you were the guy to maintain it.

Since you asked here is what I would, personally do:

1. If the original owner send you the records, proceed if you are satisfied
2. Get a comprehesive engine survey from an Auth Yammie guy, your friend?
3. If both things check out, figure out a fair depreciation on those motors and get the cash back

If not, I think you win this case, easily in small claims court. The real question is going to be, did they know? As ElyseM pointed out, if the original owner has anything to help you along those lines, that will help alot.

That said, it looks very clean and it sure is a super boat, with good motors. Get the deal adjusted and have fun. I think it would be hard to go back to the smaller boat, now that you have played around in the 300.

Bama96

Reaction score
Capt Armchair said:
SlimJim said:

I agree, seems many are telling you "Oh well, it is a great deal, use the boat and be happy, regardless."

Double the hours? That is ridiculous in my opinion. There are just not a plehtora of 4s for sale with those kind of hours, maybe in a few years people will be less wary when they see high hours, but I think alot of people move right past a boat with 1000+ hours on it. Even so, if you put the majority of those hours on her, well you can be totally fine with 1000+ hours as you were the guy to maintain it.

Since you asked here is what I would, personally do:

1. If the original owner send you the records, proceed if you are satisfied
2. Get a comprehesive engine survey from an Auth Yammie guy, your friend?
3. If both things check out, figure out a fair depreciation on those motors and get the cash back

If not, I think you win this case, easily in small claims court. The real question is going to be, did they know? As ElyseM pointed out, if the original owner has anything to help you along those lines, that will help alot.

That said, it looks very clean and it sure is a super boat, with good motors. Get the deal adjusted and have fun. I think it would be hard to go back to the smaller boat, now that you have played around in the 300.

You are right there is no way i could go down is size at this point. After spending one full day in the Gulf I am spoiled. It will be a Marlin for me weather its this one or another one I am sure of that.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Just for comparison's sake: Our dealer has a 2002 Marlin with Brand NEW 2005 225's on it. They took the boat in trade and repowered it with left over motors - They have factory warrantees. Boat is in good shape and has solid electronics. they are asking 89K and will probably take 80K. Same boat - NEW engines. 1300 hours on the engines makes them essentially worth little to nothing in the real world (Forget NADA). Your deal seems fair but since the boat was clearly mis-represented you are entitled to either agree on some form of compensation or return the boat.

NOTE: This is ONLY true because the guages actually read something different and you can hopefully prove the dealer knew this. The dealer "Telling" you anything is just hearsay but the fact that the guages read one thing while the dealer "Knew" another is justification for action if you choose to take it.

I wouldn't let this go. Saying double the hours doesn't mean anything is ludicrous - It's DOUBLE the hours - Regardless of maintenance - Your expenses WILL be higher on these motors - Possible significantly. There are TONS are Marlins out there - If you can't get compensated properly on this you should get a refund and keep looking.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I don't want to be the one to pee in your wheaties BUT you have spent quite some time searching for the perfect deal, seems to me you should have done a littled more homework before pulling the trigger, all you had to do is plug those motors into a laptop and you would have known the correct hours and at what rpm's they have been run and for how long. You definetly shoulder some of the responsibility for this error. I deal with car dealers on a regular basis and there are very few I trust and I always get a carfax, you should have gotten a survey including a mechanical then you would have known excatly what you were buying especially if those motors are out of warranty. I would have wanted to know a whole lot more about them than you did. Just my .02

Bama96

Reaction score
ocdansar said:
I don't want to be the one to pee in your wheaties BUT you have spent quite some time searching for the perfect deal, seems to me you should have done a littled more homework before pulling the trigger, all you had to do is plug those motors into a laptop and you would have known the correct hours and at what rpm's they have been run and for how long. You definetly shoulder some of the responsibility for this error. I deal with car dealers on a regular basis and there are very few I trust and I always get a carfax, you should have gotten a survey including a mechanical then you would have known excatly what you were buying especially if those motors are out of warranty. I would have wanted to know a whole lot more about them than you did. Just my .02

You are right but I knew the prior owner and another close friend who fished the boat regularly. He knew the history and said the boat was well maintained and never had a problem. I bear some responsibility here but the bottom line is when I asked the dealer how many hours are on the engines and he lies about it thats the problem. He can't get around that. I have documentation he lied.

The hours on the engines did not come up in my first conversation with the prior owner. It was not until our second conversation two days after the purchase that he said "Now they did tell you that the hours on the gages were not correct didn't they? There are actually close to 1300 hours on them not the 671 on the gage. That is what they used against me to beat me up on my trade when I bought my 336 CC". He was floored they did not tell me.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is a little off topic but if a 4 stroke isn't worth it's wieght in ___ after 1K hours, why spend the extra money for a used boat with 4 strokes vs 2 strokes?

ocdansar

Reaction score
If you are that comfortable with the previous owner and who ever else you know that fished that boat then don't worry about it, take it out and use it. On the other hand 60k I woud have had the survey done and motors checked but hey thats just me.

Bama96

Reaction score
ocdansar said:
If you are that comfortable with the previous owner and who ever else you know that fished that boat then don't worry about it, take it out and use it. On the other hand 60k I woud have had the survey done and motors checked but hey thats just me.

I paid $65K with the tri axle trailer.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No point in piling on Bama....he is in a little bit of a jam.

If I recall, you bought the boat because it was traded in on another GW. I would pick up the phone now, call GW cust service, and let them know EXACTLY the facts of what is going on. They already know you as a previous GW owner, and my experience has been that they do not have much tolerance for their dealers knowingly treating customers in this way.

Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if they are already aware of your situation. They, and other GW dealers, tend to monitor this forum.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Having read some of the responses I agree with some and don't agree with others
1 If you can't trust your dealer how would the dealer trust you if after he say's the outboard has only so many hrs and here you come with your computer to make sure he is telling the truth. If indeed the hrs were correct how would the dealer treat you next time you come in for anything?
2 If the dealer decreased the trade in value for the previous owner then he should have discounted the boat package to you.
3 All said I would give the dealed a chance to make it right and if he doesn't I would think about a lawyer and maybe post the dealer name on this site so everyone dealing with him would know everything may not be as described.

Bama96

Reaction score
Not going to say who but not many Grady dealers in that area. They have yet to call me this am. The prior owner of my boat just bought a new 336 Canyon from them. He is concerned over how I was treated and is concerned over future dealings with them. I don't trust them now and I doubt he does either. The salesman even had the nerve to ask me to be sure to give him 10's on my customer satisfaction survey. He said the president of the company reviews those and that is how he gets his bounus. He has a lot of nerve. :evil:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My two cents is to bring it back. If you wish to have proof, do what others say and the engine's diagnostics should be able to prove it. Also, did the owner who had the guages replaced do so at the same dealer you bought it from? Does owner have any reciepts of the repair and the costs so on dating back 4 years. If so acquire them.

If the dealer seems to be willing to work with you try to do that first. Also, you could call the State's Consumer Affairs folks and not report it just yet, but find out the steps to be taken and explain to the dealer what your research has found. It more or less puts them on notice you are not kidding around, of course a stern letter from an attorney does that too...

Good Luck.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Im not sure the reason for an attorney if they are willing to take it back and give you ur money back.But if you really love the boat and want to keep it, try to get at least an extended warrantee(at least 3 yrs).

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Bama96

Reaction score
They did all the repair work back in 04'. They have acknowledged that it was a lightning strike repair and the gages were replaced as well as the ECU. A computer read out would not have shown the higher hours. If I did not know the prior owner I would have never known the true hours. They are working on something for me now. We shall see.

Bama96

Reaction score
Well they have called and made me an offer. I am going to think it over. They are taking full responsibility for the error and are being very cooperative. There offer seems fair and their attitude toward me at this point could not be better. Looks like things will work out. :D

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Well they have called and made me an offer. I am going to think it over. They are taking full responsibility for the error and are being very cooperative. There offer seems fair and their attitude toward me at this point could not be better. Looks like things will work out. :D

God bless the power of the internet. Good luck man.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Salesmen in any industry can do great harm to the business, they have to be watched very carefully.

Winning the salesman of the month award every month can be the worst of them, in terms of long term damage to the company's reputation.

Basically, the motors have little value in this boat purchase as I see it. Dealer motor warranties or purchased 3rd party motor warrantes aren't worth the paper written on, you will see when the time comes.

Same crap goes on in auto industry and miles driven, how many were caught cranking back odometers on high mileage mint condition cars?
A very lucritive business.

Dealer acting ignorant isn't a crime, it's all about "buyer beware".
No secret why this baby didn't sell.

When I sell my boat one day, I'll just buy new multifiction gauges and show the readout to prospective buyers after a few trips:
" just 27 hrs of usage" . Am I breaking the law?
I don't think so -