What's the beef about Grady on that other boating forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seems funny, if these folks don't like a GW, why do they keep hanging around this site? After all, I think this is a site for Grady folks. I don't really care if they don't like the boats, I do. May I suggest www.pursuitowners.com.

Or is it they just can't afford a quality boat?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Southeast makes statements based on how things "look" not actually function. It seems those things are debateable among reasonable men. He does not like the cheap look of aluminum versus the look of pursuits windshield. That is his preference. It is opinion, not fact those integrated windshield frames or pulpits are better or worse in terms of quality. There could be issues with integrated windshields, I don't know?

I enjoy a good discussion as long as it is somewhat honest. SE never answered my questions about his Grady cabin windows.

I think the real difference is the vinyl ester versus, assuming it is polyester resins Grady uses. There could be clear advantages of using vinyl ester over poly.

At the end of the day and I love my boat, if Grady's engineers believed or discovered ways to improve quality while reducing costs, it would be good business sense to do so would it not? Especially in this market.

If Grady is junk, then you gotta give it to them for winning all those manufacturing awards while commanding the prices they do, bet the folks at Bayliner wished they had kind of power.....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey, dropped over to the pursuit forum...what do you know. A nice thread on cabin leaks, mold in the cabin on a Pursuit. Who knew the perfect boat leaked? Funny, one poster mentioned the leak on his boat came through the fancy looking windshield and its bolts securing it to the boat....

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Southeast FL

Southeast FL, you are the only one who believes this site benefits from your open minded posts! Your about as open minded as a rock.

Ed

seabob4

Reaction score
If I may chime in. Yes, I have been a member of this site for a couple years now, and no, I'm not a Grady owner. Actually, Aquasport. But I am a production engineer for Proline, thus, in some ways, I work for a competitor. In the offshore fish boat market, we're all competitors, regardless of "tier".

I am also a member on THT, have been for several years, and I know exactly what all here are talking about, that perceived notion that Grady's are so great, therefore their wood shouldn't rot, therefore why pay the money for the Grady that will rot just like a Palm Beach? So Grady gets bashed. I guess they all expect the wood to rot in a Palm Beach, so that's alright...

So what it comes down to is an ego issue, plain and simple. Owners of boats that don't cost as much are jealous of owners of boats that cost more. It's just the nature of the human beast. And because of that jealousy, when something "bad" is brought up about a Grady, or a Whaler, or any other higher dollar builder, the pack jumps on it like flies on shit. That's just the way it is, because it helps offset their envy. Kind of like a release mechanism...

At Proline, we use no wood, only in the cabinetry in the bigger expresses. Does that make it a better boat than any other? No, it simply means that it has no wood. If you have a wood-free boat that has a bad hull form, who the hell would want to buy it, wood-free or not? Many things in the boat world are relative, and people should try and recognize that.

I started in the OEM boat business at Wellcraft in '94. Became the head electrician on 3 different lines. Left to go to Stamas Yacht (it takes a whole forest to build a Stamas!) in '00, did ALL the wiring in the express boats, took a job as a production engineer in '06. I'm here on this site hopefully to help anybody who has electrical problems, both AC and DC. That's why I'm here. BTW, if anybody want's to check out my site, you can go to The Proline Guy....

Rather than get pissed at the bashers, take solace in the fact that you own one of the most desirable boats out there. You have nothing to prove. So quit thinking that you have to...

Bob C

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I too visited the Pursuit site and from what I read about "cabin leak " it's a good thing they don't use wood in their boats. :)

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Southeast makes statements based on how things "look" not actually function.

I enjoy a good discussion as long as it is somewhat honest. SE never answered my questions about his Grady cabin windows.

I think the real difference is the vinyl ester versus, assuming it is polyester resins Grady uses. There could be clear advantages of using vinyl ester over poly.

So cabin windows that don't open and generator access hatches that are caulked shut are things that just "look" bad instead of function bad ??? Think again.

Seeing how you're such an expert on GW's I thought for sure you'd of known the cheap plastic cabin windows on the Marlin don't open.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Re: Southeast FL

Miss Sadie said:
Southeast FL, you are the only one who believes this site benefits from your open minded posts! Your about as open minded as a rock.

Ed

You refute the six facts I posted about GW's and it'll be the first thing you've positively contributed to this thread - but you can't so you just run your mouth.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
This is about the new pursuit 335

On THT about Pursuit 335

I just purched a top of the line 33' express crusier ( at this time i will not name company ) The boat came with 350's . When i went for the demo boat had 1/2 fuel and every thing else was empty and there were 3 people on board, boat seemed to sit in water ok , dealer was showing where everything was and so on. After i purched boat i filled up with gas , ice , livewell ,fresh water , gear , 4 guys ( average size 180 Lbs. each ) took boat off lift into water . This is when the problems started to show up . The transom sets so low in the water that the drain hole is under water ( this is even with out any one in boat ) This makes the splash well always full of water and will not drain out . They put the drain hole approx 1/2 '' higher than the bottom of the splash well , so it would't even drain out on the lift . On top all of this there are 3 plastic access plates in the bottom of the splash well that are allways covered with water . I called the customer service at the factory and they really just blew every thing off ," because of the weight of the 350 engines " i told him the boat came that way and they shouldn't have been put on boat if the boat wasn't enginered for the engines . Am i stuck or do you think i have any recourse .If one of these plastic access plates were to break or start leaking the boat could easly sink. Maybe i should have checked things out better but on a 250.000.00 new boat ( that comes highly rated ) i wasn't looking for things like this.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
SE, I am not an expert on anything. According to GW, their cabins have windows that open. Since my little ole 228 has windows that open, I figured the bigger boats do too. They are not cheap plastic, they look like acrylic or lexan. Are they glass, no.

I have been on a Marlin once with folks from the Daytona Grady White club and did not pay attention to the genset. I did however, pay attention went I was aboard the 305 and 330 and it, the genset was easily accessed. So maybe they learned a lesson from your model and or model year?

You just seem angry about your boat. I feel for you because I enjoy being on the water so much. It seems your boat brings you no joy or satisfaction. That is sad. The water is place to appreciate the little things in life, not have buyers remorse and bitterness. I hope you genuinely find that perfect boat.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
You just seem angry about your boat. I feel for you because I enjoy being on the water so much. It seems your boat brings you no joy or satisfaction. That is sad. The water is place to appreciate the little things in life, not have buyers remorse and bitterness. I hope you genuinely find that perfect boat.[/quote]

This brought a tear to my eye. :cry: :cry: :cry:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I enjoy my Gulfstream immensely. I do have one pretty big complaint, and had it with my Seafarer that I had for 10 years.
The cabin leaks.
Not just thru the side windows. Thru the access panel below the helm, also. They didn't tighten down the gauge panel at the factory and it leaked behind the panel, into the access/fuse area and thence into the cabin.

This really made me mad. I paid 6 figures for my 232, and it shouldn't leak..At all..
However, with the help of a longtime friend, we got it fixed(for now.)
I still love my Grady and would buy another. There are so many neat things about it that the leaks are not a deal-breaker.
I sure wish they'd address these leaks, though. I've read here that others have had trouble too.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Great Imposter

Southeast FL, please tell us what model GW you have and why you bought it? Also, what problems have you had GW dealer or factory would not take care of? Or, do you own any boat?

Please tell us more about yourself, maybe we can understand your point of views better if we had a little background.

Ed

miker

Reaction score
i have a 1988 205 overnighter in mint condition i named it BITE ME, for the people who dont like GW'S and some other reasons, i don't like whalers,but i keep my comments to my self,when your on the water i wave hi to others i dont care what boat you have i could go on and on,if you dont like GW go somewere else

Bama96

Reaction score
Bottom line is Grady has a huge following and I have never seen a boat resale as quick and for top dollar. The customer service and factory support you recieve is second to none. It doesn't matter if your boat is a 2010 or a 1986 they go out of their way to help you. I love my wood boat. 8)

richie rich

Reaction score
Pro-line guy......nice web site....thanks for the link and glad to have another helpful person onboard.....hope we cane pick your brain for some good information....

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think SE has some valid points, although they seem to come with a sharp edge that probably makes some people question his intentions. A healthy critic is welcome lest we become too biased.

I don't think there is ever a perfect boat. I've been all over Pursuits and looked at them real hard before buyin the Marlin. I think they are even to GW in many areas and in some areas better, in a few way better.

The biggest issue for me was the layout of the cockpit and helm. They just didn't feel right to me. I felt like I was in a boxed helm - felt confined and separated from the ocean with the wall of high fiberglass in front of me - maybe because im 5'10".

I didn't like the cockpit layout for fishing either, The transom door felt and looked cheap. Maybe I'm just used to or bias to GW layouts, but honestly it just didn't feel right to me. The finish in the bildge seems to be a hot point for some - not a must have for me but I understand that it matters more to others. I'm not down there all that much.

That doesn't mean Pursuit is not a top tier boat - they are and I'm sure considered better than Grady by some. To each his down, I'll look at them again if I move up/down. I hope GW periodically performs a healthy competitive analysis and takes a few nuggets from them. They need to continually improve and refine. Lets hope they address some of the shortcomings and make the line even better.

One thing is for sure. GW is a great boat for the market they target. They build a very soild machine and stand behind them as best as anyone in the business. I say buy whatever you like and enjoy.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Re: Great Imposter

Miss Sadie said:
Southeast FL, please tell us what model GW you have and why you bought it? Also, what problems have you had GW dealer or factory would not take care of? Or, do you own any boat?

Please tell us more about yourself, maybe we can understand your point of views better if we had a little background.

Ed

After you used profanity and made vicious personal attacks in your post on p. 1 towards me - I don't even owe you the courtesy of a response.

If you want cooperation from someone you think twice next time before you start hurling insults at someone who merely pointed out the obvious facts.

I can and will keep this up for as long as you want to.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
You just seem angry about your boat. I feel for you because I enjoy being on the water so much. It seems your boat brings you no joy or satisfaction. That is sad. The water is place to appreciate the little things in life, not have buyers remorse and bitterness. I hope you genuinely find that perfect boat.

If you bother to read the title of this thread its - "what's the beef with GW on that other boating forum ?" And my comments directly addressed that point by listing six shortcomings that a quality boat builder that charges the prices GW does should not have.

Now you seem intend on turning the conversation away from the main topic and making it personal by stating "my boat brings me no joy and other such nonsense."

Stay on topic and everyone will learn something.

seabob4

Reaction score
I will say this in defense of GW. When I have the task of incorporating new ideas into a cockpit, or helm, or forward seating, or WHATEVER, usually I go online and see how GW does it, how Pursuit does it, how Everglades does it. So, as a competing production engineer, I guess that shows you who we hold with respect in the industry. There is a reason GWs and the others are held in such high esteem, because they tend to do things right. Not all the time, but no company nor any person can be expected to do things right all the time.

Do I agree with or like what GW does in all aspects? Of course not...but I still go look!

Bob C

Status
Not open for further replies.