ideas for more fish storage on 226 Seafarer?

Olyfishin

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello,

I'm brand new here on this forum and a new Grady owner as of this week! So excited! I will be so happy to sell my Trophy.

I was going through the boat and had a realization (after buying it) that I'm not sure the fish hold on the 226 Seafarer is big enough for halibut.

There are a LOT of Grady's out there fishing halibut in our Washington coastal waters. How have you handled bleeding and storing the bigguns?

I've got a ton of work to do. Boat overall is in good shape for a 1998. She's got a 225 hp low hours E-tec. Need to upgrade the electronics, put a kicker on it and new trim tabs. Then I'm ready to go. Trying to get ready for May halibut followed by salmon season.

Thanks for any ideas that have worked for you!
Olyfishin

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There's no magic huge compartment. The existing fishboxes you've seen. No floor storage obviously but you can put in a huge floor locker (if you don't have the front aux tank option) by just cutting a hole and installing a hatch. I did it and others have too. The 228 Seafarer has a bracket and thus a bigish livewell where your splashwell is. Maybe you can make somthing custom or install a engine bracket.

There are pictures of the deck hatch somewhere here if you search. Sorry can't look right now.

Reactions: Olyfishin

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The storage on most of the Grady's is pretty limited. The coolers really don't hold ice well either. I would go with a big rotomold cooler or if your really serious a Frigid Rigid. I use mine as a rigging station and an extra seat.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’d be more worried about catching a big halibut then storing it! Limits only one per person and with the limited season you might just go home with one halibut and be happy.

of course this means post pictures of your biggest halibut! :);)

Last edited:

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my 228, you can put 8-10 albacore depending on the size in the hold behind the drivers seat with plenty of ice. You can get 4-6 behind the passenger seat with ample ice. I have put 3 40-46" halibut in the one behind the drivers seat with ice. I also carry 2 reliable bags that will hold plenty plenty of ice and fish. So far it has not been a problem with fish storage. We have put almost 50 albacore between the bags and holds on the boat. When you run out of ice, we head for home even if the fishing is good.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Like PNW_Drifter mentioned above, there have been multiple GW owners who use the auxiliary fuel tank compartment, if they don't have the auxiliary fuel tank as extra storage for fish, ice, gear or just about anything else. Here are a couple of threads on the matter... for the first thread, look at posts #7 and #56 for pictures and some ideas as to what might work for you. I think Mgaul1 has the cleanest look as to how he went about doing it since he didn't cut out a hole to put a hatch or cover in, and instead used a small lock as well as a standard looking shock absorber.

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/roughest-seas-you’ve-endured-seafarer-228.33682/page-3

Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's my hatch. Still love the storage. Could put a huge Rubbermaid tub or cooler down there if you needed to for short term ice storage. I caught 3 halibut in one trip this year but none were too big for my box so in they went.

Last edited:

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was shocked at how many fish fit in the cooler under the helm seanof my 228.
I had 4 10-15 lb salmon, 4 small rockfish, 3 lingcod, 2 halibut around 20 lbs. Still had room for more...it was an amazing day on the water to say the least.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
They make them big enough for swordfish, big eye, or bluefin plus ice. I've seen them 72" but I think there are bigger. I don't have one but Hoping someday to wish I did...:p
My 265 express has a giant fish box. Holds 300lbs of bagged iced. This all fit with ice and room to spare
vkfY4Vjl.jpg

Last edited:

Olyfishin

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey thanks for the input! That's quite a haul that you put in that fishbox Doug. It just didn't look that big... but that's a lot of fish! Maybe it'll be fine. Great ideas for mods, too. I will think it though a little bit. Not way excited about cutting into my decking right away. I typically fish 4 guys for halibut and most we get are usually 20-40 lbs (mostly 20's). I have a lot of gripes about my old Trophy, but the one thing it does have is big fish boxes. And, a couple of times, I filled both boxes in the Trophy on halibut/salmon combo days... so was just thinking I might have an issue, especially for halibut.

I am SO pumped to get my boat ready for the year. Looks like Neah Bay will be open for shorter runs into the ocean. That's good news. I'm getting a radar arch installled right now, and then will be putting on downriggers, upgrading electronics, and changing it from a Florida setup to a Washington setup, as I bought it and shipped it across country. I'm really open to any random suggestions that you've learned gearing yours up.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yup, agree with others. Surprising how many fish will fit in the fish box behind captain's chair on my 228. These are multiple trips but some good/fat fish that all fit.

20171004_162922.jpg20171002_172821.jpg20171003_213338.jpg20171002_163255.jpg

Reactions: Ryhlick