Radar mounting on hardtop pics

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's the 6" SS mount from Scanstrut and Battlewagon. No issues with powdercoating down the road. Fairly equal in price.

Scanstrut-SPT1001_1._m0_w924_h924_c1_b__pcenter_q80_.jpg6936-img-f_900x.jpg

Reactions: Fuzz

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is a heading sensor needed to run some of the features of the radar? Reading the description on Simrad website, says it needs a heading sensor or GPS for proper orientation to use chart overlay?? I have internal and external GPS, shouldn't it work with my unit? Maybe it was written for older units, not very clear?

Screenshot_20210109-134859_Chrome.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
you need a heading sensor in addition to GPS. GPS calulates heading based on movement. You need a heading sensor(compass) to get actual direction the bow is pointed at all times. Otherwise it cannot track other targets in relation to you.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
you need a heading sensor in addition to GPS. GPS calulates heading based on movement. You need a heading sensor(compass) to get actual direction the bow is pointed at all times. Otherwise it cannot track other targets in relation to you.

I guess my recent fears/ concerns are real. I just replaced my old gps/ Fishfinders but left my Furuno 1712 and Furuno RSB 0087 as they work great and didn’t want to replace them this season.

So, based on your feedback, does that mean it will no longer work? Looks like it was supposed to connect to a navigation using NMEA 0183. I didn’t think either of my old devices had that plug connected but I do have a wire spliced together that I need to see what it is doing.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After some more reading, the Point-1 external GPS antenna I have on the hardtop, has a internal compass, so that would let the Velocity Track feature work, but not MARPA. The Velocity Track would let me see trails of targets, allowing me to see the direction of travel in regards to my location. Is MARPA all that crucial to have?

UCPA111

Reaction score
This is a great thread. I'd love to add Radar, but I trailer and my garage door is a limitation. Wish there was a quick connect one that I could install when I want and remove when I want!
Looking forward to seeing your final result!

Reactions: Fuzz and Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is a great thread. I'd love to add Radar, but I trailer and my garage door is a limitation. Wish there was a quick connect one that I could install when I want and remove when I want!
Looking forward to seeing your final result!

Yep, I trailer everywhere too. One of our members PM'd me his mounting setup. It's a 3" one. Not overly tall, but gets some clearance over my stuff mounted on the hardtop. Should be easily trailerable with the Halo 24 on it.

IMG_2334.jpg
IMG_2341.jpg
WSAF300.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
After some more reading, the Point-1 external GPS antenna I have on the hardtop, has a internal compass, so that would let the Velocity Track feature work, but not MARPA. The Velocity Track would let me see trails of targets, allowing me to see the direction of travel in regards to my location. Is MARPA all that crucial to have?
if it has a 2k network compass why wont it work for MARPA also?

MARPA will track (and display) course and speed of multiple other vessels and warn of crossing/closing vessels.
Its a no-brainer that you would use it if you have paid for it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I guess my recent fears/ concerns are real. I just replaced my old gps/ Fishfinders but left my Furuno 1712 and Furuno RSB 0087 as they work great and didn’t want to replace them this season.

So, based on your feedback, does that mean it will no longer work? Looks like it was supposed to connect to a navigation using NMEA 0183. I didn’t think either of my old devices had that plug connected but I do have a wire spliced together that I need to see what it is doing.

it should still work as a stand alone as it did before. It probably had gps position coming fron nmea0183. That would allow you to use the cursor to manually find position of targets. Your new gps/ff probably(maybe) has a wire for nmea 0183 gps position output.

Reactions: Fuzz and Blaugrana

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
if it has a 2k network compass why wont it work for MARPA also?

MARPA will track (and display) course and speed of multiple other vessels and warn of crossing/closing vessels.
Its a no-brainer that you would use it if you have paid for it.

It has 2K network. Just going off what the box says. I won't know until I get it installed and up and running.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I use the RC42 Heading sensor. If I recall, it does more than what you are discussing. One if the things it does is know which direction you are pointing and travelling. I forget all the stuff it really does, but it was for sure worth the investment.
I have used Marpa a few times. It is pretty cool when heading in from 50 miles out, others travelling in as well, I can select those boats and track them to determine if I might have a potential collision issue, then I can make adjustments.
It will be better when/if Navico moves us up to ARPA so we don't have to do it manually. I had heard rumor they were working on it as a SW upgrade down the road.

That 3" looks nice and seems it would work for you well enough!

The Velocity track is awesome. I can watch cars go by in front of the boat when sitting at the coast and see the colors change as they travel by. There is a large open field behind me and I was watching the riding mower go around and the Velocity track was keeping track and showing when approaching or leaving with the different colors as well.

When on the water, that is an awesome feature.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not sure why but I don't see any interference behind my radar. Not that it matters, 99% of the time I operate my boat in a forward direction and lack the counter measures to defend from a aft missal attack.

View attachment 18245
View attachment 18246

Those Garmin domes are taller than the Halo 24's. That's the reason I'm looking into the pedestal mount for the clearance over the other stuff on hardtop. Halo is 8 3/4" tall.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those Garmin domes are taller than the Halo 24's. That's the reason I'm looking into the pedestal mount for the clearance over the other stuff on hardtop.

I have the anchor light mounted directly behind my radar. Next time I have the boat out I'm going to pay more attention and see what I see as far as blockages. I do notice that my targets are better at rest vs on plane and it's the angle for sure. If your scan strut solves that problem you'll be ahead of the game! I've seen those wedges for $130.. mines going to be some tastefully trimmed starboard :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thats an expensive rate compass.o_O
As far as I know, you only need a simple network compass for the radar. If you have autopilot you need a 9 axis heading,turn rate, pitch & roll sensor. If you already have one of those it will work for the radar function. I seem to always see the caveat that its best to have the same brand.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If I find I need something else, it will be Simrad for sure. Just hope not $1300 bucks.:eek: