Radar mounting on hardtop pics

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm still not getting the necessity for a second compass when the Point-1 has one in it. But it states on the box and paperwork, that it's not recommended for use with MARPA? Guess I need to read more about it.

Reactions: Fuzz

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Back when I got my Lowrance 3G radar, to use overlay and have improved heading position, the RC42 was the tool to use. At the time, there was no Pilot-1 or Pilot-1AP used for the Autopilot.

I would say try without it and see if you are happy with the features and if not, you can easily add the rate compass later.

Here is some interesting reading and learning about a rate compass and what all is out there.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, so you made me go out and start some measurements! lol.

Based on the manual, flush mounted with 11 degree angle from center of dome, I am fully clearing on the sides, just barely since my hardtop curves to the sides and some also toward the rear and forward. Interesting design on the hardtop, never realized how much is curves.
Since the radar is mounted forward with a lean forward, it allows the beam to clear aft as well, but just barely.

I can watch my prop wash when running, so that tells me it is doing pretty good!

I think though, the 25 degree part of the beam, is where I lose some from sides and rear, rear not being that important but as I approach a marker bouy it will disappear when starting to pass when it is about 30' or so away whereas back when I had my 3G and was on a mount, it would see it nearly right next to the boat.

Due to my clearance issue, I am happy with the results so far.

Would I use a mount and get some elevation? Sure, but that is just not an option for me. I had quite a few tree scrapes on my 3G even with the canvas cover on it I use when travelling.
One of these days, I dread hitting a branch hard enough to crack or break the radar!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I found this:
Simrad and Lowrance's newest radar technology is now available. It has improved upon their existing broadband technology by incorporating Doppler. Doppler has enabled a host of new features, the most prominent of which is VelocityTrack. VelocityTrack actually senses motion of targets and can visually designate them on screen as closing on your position or moving away. This brings whole new level of information to your collision avoidance tools. This radar also sweeps at an industry leading 60 RPMs for a near real time image of nearby targets. It is also boasts a range of 48 miles for monitoring distant weather.

Features:
  • MARPA Tracking of up to 10 targets, or 20 targets in dual range mode - requires heading sensor
  • Low profile dome design
  • Harbor, Offshore, Bird, and Weather modes
  • Dual range operation so you can simultaneously view short and long ranges
  • Instant ON from standby
  • CHIRP technology with beam sharpening
  • Doppler Technology
  • VelicityTrack
  • Low emissions

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Guess the Precision-9 is in my future, want it all to work as it should.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Plan is for now,, Install radar and find out what works and what doesn't and go from there. I'm the same as you skunk,,, one thing says you have to have a heading sensor and another thing says not needed in the same paperwork.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The HS60 looks to be an option also. Replacing my Point-1 with it, eliminates the Precision-9 mounted down below somewhere. The pole mount is removed and it mounts flat to the hardtop inplace of the Point-1. sim000-12308-001-2.jpg

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Here's the Halo 24 on an aft leaning seaview radar mount. I think the 5" would look better, but I put it on 10" since I have the search light in front of it. My friend has one mounted directly to his 33 Express' hard top in front of the hump and it looks good and works fine.

IMG_3690.JPG

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Plan is for now,, Install radar and find out what works and what doesn't and go from there. I'm the same as you skunk,,, one thing says you have to have a heading sensor and another thing says not needed in the same paperwork.

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think you need to precision 9 or HS 60 if you want to overlay the radar on the GPS map. Which is a nice feature not having to discern 2 separate images. The 9 is also necessary for autopilot, but that doesn't have to do with radar function.

Reactions: Fuzz and Ky Grady

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Here's mine ive been meaning to post this since I finished it. I saw this folding mount online and copied it and made one myself with some help from some friends it turned out alot better than I exspected, boat came with the 4 foot open array and I didn't want to get rid of it, so being I trailer every where I go and the boat stayes in my shop I had to come up with something.9910.jpeg9977.jpeg9908.jpeg9916.jpeg9914.jpeg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That is pretty cool! Is the base and folding part available out there? You mentioned you copied from something......

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just ordered a 2021 228 with the Yamaha F250 on it. It is supposed to be shipped on June 6, hopefully Covid doesn't mess that up. I believe it comes with the CL7 set up for gauges. I'm on here trying to find out what I can fit in the boxes at the helm as far as electronics. I was thinking of going with a Garmin because it supposedly talks to the CL7? I would like to add radar as well as a GPS/sonar package. Does anybody have any Dash pictures of a newer Grady with the units mounted in it? Also, what type of transducer is best. At the dealership I saw a very large one mounted on the back, not sure the brand. What about a through hole so they don't have to mess with adjustments? Any input would be great as I can do now is read about stuff

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I just ordered a 2021 228 with the Yamaha F250 on it. It is supposed to be shipped on June 6, hopefully Covid doesn't mess that up. I believe it comes with the CL7 set up for gauges. I'm on here trying to find out what I can fit in the boxes at the helm as far as electronics. I was thinking of going with a Garmin because it supposedly talks to the CL7? I would like to add radar as well as a GPS/sonar package. Does anybody have any Dash pictures of a newer Grady with the units mounted in it? Also, what type of transducer is best. At the dealership I saw a very large one mounted on the back, not sure the brand. What about a through hole so they don't have to mess with adjustments? Any input would be great as I can do now is read about stuff
I'm pretty sure a CL7 is a Garmin 7400 series...I think? So it will work on the Garmin network with other devices

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am thinking the same thing and will most likely stick with Garmin products. If anybody has any pictures of a set up. Also not 100% sure of the dimensions of the boxes. I would certainly want to Get the largest thing I can fit in it. Thinking a 9 inch?