Small Offshore Comparison’s

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I would say the 215 for the fact it is a larger hull. It replaced the 205 and widened the beam by 5 inches. The 208 is the same as the 205.

seasick

Reaction score
I am mostly a fair weather boater as my user name hints at. I fish inshore, bay and somewhat offshore whatever that really means. I can usually see the shore line when in the ocean.Maybe I go 3 miles off the shore at most I have a 208 and if seas are greater than 2-3 feet, I don't go outside the bay. The boat can take a lot more punishment than I can and it can give you a serious beating in rough seas. If you bottom fish and/or anchor, in seas and wind, it does roll and sometime quite a lot. It's the nature of deep V hulls and the hulls displacement. So if you are thinking about 'going to the canyon' as we call it in a 208, personally I think you are nuts. In general, the heavier the hull and the wider the beam, the more stable in rough seas.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
I am mostly a fair weather boater as my user name hints at. I fish inshore, bay and somewhat offshore whatever that really means. I can usually see the shore line when in the ocean.Maybe I go 3 miles off the shore at most I have a 208 and if seas are greater than 2-3 feet, I don't go outside the bay. The boat can take a lot more punishment than I can and it can give you a serious beating in rough seas. If you bottom fish and/or anchor, in seas and wind, it does roll and sometime quite a lot. It's the nature of deep V hulls and the hulls displacement. So if you are thinking about 'going to the canyon' as we call it in a 208, personally I think you are nuts. In general, the heavier the hull and the wider the beam, the more stable in rough seas.
I appreciate your response. Yes, I am a little bit more aggressive. I live in Florida and kayak to your offshore distance. I’m looking to see if the 208 or the 215 would be better out 30-50 miles. Some over in Miami will run 68 to the Bahamas. I like the info on how that boat rolls in higher seas. That was a concern I had with a T-Top with that size of boat.
i have not bought yet. I am looking very seriously at the 208, 215 and the 228. I’d like to stay in the 208 or 215 price range.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would say 208. Walkarounds shed water over the bow better than open front boats.
You're sort of right. The walk around trough itself does allow water into the boat . It's not an express which does shed that water.

Honestly, you're splitting hairs in comparing the two hulls. In 6 foot seas you're not thinking if you buy the smaller one ,man if I only got the 215 I would be safer. Personally, I avoid 6 foot seas so I don't have to say such things. Lol. On average day I don't think you would notice a big difference between the two hulls.
The way Walk-arounds are designed though you will get more cockpit space aft of the helm. I would suggest getting the style of boat that suits your needs better.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You're sort of right. The walk around trough itself does allow water into the boat . It's not an express which does shed that water.

Honestly, you're splitting hairs in comparing the two hulls. In 6 foot seas you're not thinking if you buy the smaller one ,man if I only got the 215 I would be safer. Personally, I avoid 6 foot seas so I don't have to say such things. Lol. On average day I don't think you would notice a big difference between the two hulls.
The way Walk-arounds are designed though you will get more cockpit space aft of the helm. I would suggest getting the style of boat that suits your needs better.
Got it. the 6 ftrs I would stay away from too. Need a bigger boat for that . I’d be on the inner coastal’s and offshore. I’d be looking at seas from glass to 5 max. If the reports are 2-4, I’d be comfortable with that. The seas are a little different on the gulf side than the Atlantic. But, it doesn’t mean that it can’t swell up pretty quickly. Are the 208 & the 215’s good in 2-4 ftrs?
Can the 228 handle 6 ftr’s?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Can the 228 handle 6 ftr’s?
Yes it can in the Pacific as along as you can take some pounding . I fish offshore in mine 30+ miles , you can't see land . I never feel unsafe but trying to land a Marlin or Bluefin can be a bit hard if you have 20+ knot wind .
Your preference but I like the 228, I use the cabin to store my stuff dry. I don't think the cabin will make much difference on taking water on the deck as long as you compare the same hulls. You have to compare 228 with 225. The other advantage the 228/225 have a bracket for the motor that makes the boat bigger ( better ride ) and more deck space.
228 is one of the best 22 footers around in my opinion.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a 1988 24 offshore cuddy cabin. I run it in the swl fla gulf and sometimes run across the ditch to the Bahamas. I have been in some nasty weather and haven’t had a thought about my boat not holding up to the seas. Grady white is the hull to have in rough water. I would recommend the bracket and enclosed transom also.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes it can in the Pacific as along as you can take some pounding . I fish offshore in mine 30+ miles , you can't see land . I never feel unsafe but trying to land a Marlin or Bluefin can be a bit hard if you have 20+ knot wind .
Your preference but I like the 228, I use the cabin to store my stuff dry. I don't think the cabin will make much difference on taking water on the deck as long as you compare the same hulls. You have to compare 228 with 225. The other advantage the 228/225 have a bracket for the motor that makes the boat bigger ( better ride ) and more deck space.
228 is one of the best 22 footers around in my opinion.
That makes good sense. The Pacific has bigger rollers than the gulf. The gulf has big waves that are shorter in distance apart. It’s nice to know Grady’s react to the blue water. I am looking for offshore capabilities. While making my pocketbook happy. 20 + knot winds are fairly substantial. I’ve seen many times how not so friendly conditions lead to fish in the box. Is the 228 good for entertaining too?

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 1988 24 offshore cuddy cabin. I run it in the swl fla gulf and sometimes run across the ditch to the Bahamas. I have been in some nasty weather and haven’t had a thought about my boat not holding up to the seas. Grady white is the hull to have in rough water. I would recommend the bracket and enclosed transom also.
Got it. A little more glass. That’s a pre- 97 hull too.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
If you live in Florida get the 215. The small cuddy is nothing but a oven most of the time. The dual console is the way to go. You can get the front and side curtains if you get caught in the rain.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That makes good sense. The Pacific has bigger rollers than the gulf. The gulf has big waves that are shorter in distance apart. It’s nice to know Grady’s react to the blue water. I am looking for offshore capabilities. While making my pocketbook happy. 20 + knot winds are fairly substantial. I’ve seen many times how not so friendly conditions lead to fish in the box. Is the 228 good for entertaining too?
Big rollers and 10 second periods are not a problem . When you have rollers coupled with 20 knot winds and 5 second periods they stand up. That's the time I wish I had a younger body. I don't use mine for entertaining, just fishing 2- 4 anglers .

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you live in Florida get the 215. The small cuddy is nothing but a oven most of the time. The dual console is the way to go. You can get the front and side curtains if you get caught in the rain.
Got it. Sounds like I can bend a rod in blue water, handle the weather and run around the inter coastal. How skinny of water will 215 take?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I appreciate your response. Yes, I am a little bit more aggressive. I live in Florida and kayak to your offshore distance. I’m looking to see if the 208 or the 215 would be better out 30-50 miles. Some over in Miami will run 68 to the Bahamas. I like the info on how that boat rolls in higher seas. That was a concern I had with a T-Top with that size of boat.
i have not bought yet. I am looking very seriously at the 208, 215 and the 228. I’d like to stay in the 208 or 215 price range.

Are you buying used or new? If you asked between the 208 and 228 and running to the Bahamas, I would then tell you figure out a way to buy the 228. It is a bigger hull . I love my 228 and in few days I am heading to the Keys..it's a great Keys boat and we have taken it the Bahamas a few times and wouldn't hesitate going again.

There is a guy here who either has or had a 208 and ran her to the Bahamas. Maybe he stumbles on this thread and could answer your question too? Maybe you should start a new thread asking 208,215 or 228 for Keys Bahamas out of South Florida?

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are you buying used or new? If you asked between the 208 and 228 and running to the Bahamas, I would then tell you figure out a way to buy the 228. It is a bigger hull . I love my 228 and in few days I am heading to the Keys..it's a great Keys boat and we have taken it the Bahamas a few times and wouldn't hesitate going again.

There is a guy here who either has or had a 208 and ran her to the Bahamas. Maybe he stumbles on this thread and could answer your question too? Maybe you should start a new thread asking 208,215 or 228 for Keys Bahamas out of South Florida?
Good idea. I will. I am looking to buy used. I will be looking for a boat 2-8yrs old . There are a lot of boats out there that people bought and rot. I’m going to be looking between 50 and 75 to spend. My only concern in Florida is the heat with a cuddy.
what are your thoughts?

MStewart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m selling my 228 (Listed on this site) after owning it for almost 10 years Here in SFla. Great boat extremely large aft area. I can set out 4 large chairs out for my elderly parents to enjoy the ride. Good luck

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m selling my 228 (Listed on this site) after owning it for almost 10 years Here in SFla. Great boat extremely large aft area. I can set out 4 large chairs out for my elderly parents to enjoy the ride. Good luck
Looking to buy next year. I’m doing the research now. But, thank you.