Small Offshore Comparison’s

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
The FlaDa heat can really build up inside the cuddy cabin, especially when stored during the summer as I do.
A couple years ago I had my curtains stored inside the cabin, laid flat on the bunk, with old towels placed between the curtain layers to cushion and protect against scratches.....it got SO HOT in there during storage that when I returned and uncovered everything in the fall, the plastic of the curtains had a pattern from the nape of the towels etched into the plastic!

wow, it most have gotten pretty hot in storage. Living in Fla, I plan on using it year round. Hopefully that won’t be an issue. I plan on using it throughout the year. I’ll have her on a trailer with a boat cover. Hey, thanks for your help.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey KY. Is that dive platform a stock Grady item? I really like that. My 24 has the enclosed transom also. Wondering if the 24 offshore has one that would fit.

Yep, factory platform. My bracket is different than yours. The front edge rests on the bracket.

jimever

Reaction score
...also as I read again the thread...the one I found has V6 150hp,maybe it will need to repower it with a 200-225 hp which as you said it's better...and if it is 4stroke maybe will be the best...

...also I heard to some videos that the hull of Adventure 208 is the same from 1995 until 2018...is that correct?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
...also as I read again the thread...the one I found has V6 150hp,maybe it will need to repower it with a 200-225 hp which as you said it's better...and if it is 4stroke maybe will be the best...

...also I heard to some videos that the hull of Adventure 208 is the same from 1995 until 2018...is that correct?

The hull should be the the same SV2 hull from 1993 to present.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The hull should be the the same SV2 hull from 1993 to present.

i have researched in detail the SVee2 hull and heard many positives as to its offshore capabilities and deep turning capabilities. I am convinced that this is the way to go for me when purchasing my next boat.

I too have had thoughts about a 200 + hp, four stroke for this vessel? Some say that if you have a number of people in the boat, you maybe a little underpowered.While others say that it’s fine? I am also interested in hearing more about the necessary hp. for the 208.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
i have researched in detail the SVee2 hull and heard many positives as to its offshore capabilities and deep turning capabilities. I am convinced that this is the way to go for me when purchasing my next boat.

I too have had thoughts about a 200 + hp, four stroke for this vessel? Some say that if you have a number of people in the boat, you maybe a little underpowered.While others say that it’s fine? I am also interested in hearing more about the necessary hp. for the 208.

I have an old school way of thinking. If the boat is rated for a specific HP, then it should be rigged with a motor that meets that rating. You don't have to use all of that power, but it's there when you need it.

Many manufacturers rigged their boats with minimal HP as a price point to get the consumer to purchase a boat. The majority of the consumers go about their merry way with minimal HP and are satisfied.

If I'm loaded with full fuel, coolers, gear, people, my F225 struggles some to get me up and going because it lacks the power and mid range grunt to get me out of the hole that a F250 would have. I'm rated for a F250 and that is in my future as a repower.

The bigger motor also allows me to run the same speed with the motor doing less work to maintain that speed. If I'm trying to outrun a storm or coming into a nasty inlet with stacked up waves like Haulover, it's nice to have the extra power to handle whatever I might encounter. I don't have to run it on the pins the whole time, but knowing it's available if I need it, is nice.

Reactions: wrxhoon and jimever

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have an old school way of thinking. If the boat is rated for a specific HP, then it should be rigged with a motor that meets that rating. You don't have to use all of that power, but it's there when you need it.

Many manufacturers rigged their boats with minimal HP as a price point to get the consumer to purchase a boat. The majority of the consumers go about their merry way with minimal HP and are satisfied.

If I'm loaded with full fuel, coolers, gear, people, my F225 struggles some to get me up and going because it lacks the power and mid range grunt to get me out of the hole that a F250 would have. I'm rated for a F250 and that is in my future as a repower.

The bigger motor also allows me to run the same speed with the motor doing less work to maintain that speed. If I'm trying to outrun a storm or coming into a nasty inlet with stacked up waves like Haulover, it's nice to have the extra power to handle whatever I might encounter. I don't have to run it on the pins the whole time, but knowing it's available if I need it, is nice.

Ding! Ding! We have a Winner here folks....

I have maxed my HP out on every Grady I've had and have NEVER been sorry.

Ky Grady is spot on.

jimever

Reaction score
have an old school way of thinking. If the boat is rated for a specific HP, then it should be rigged with a motor that meets that rating. You don't have to use all of that power, but it's there when you need it.

...I like your way of thinking...I did the same with all my previous boats,I put them the maximum...which HP is rated about Adventure 208?The manufacturer asks 250 hp for maximum,is it the same maximum power from 1993 to present?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
...I like your way of thinking...I did the same with all my previous boats,I put them the maximum...which HP is rated about Adventure 208?The manufacturer asks 250 hp for maximum,is it the same maximum power from 1993 to present?

1993-1994 the max HP rating was 230, so max rigged out would of been a 225, somewhere down the line the rating went to 250 HP which is the current rating. On my 228 the max was 250 in 2004, now they are 300.

Reactions: jimever

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
[QUOTE = "Ky Grady, ανάρτηση: 195292, ερώτηση: 998"]
1993-1994 η καθιερωμένη διαθεσιμότητα HP διατίθεται 230, οπότε η απαιτητικός λόγος που χρειάζεται 225, κάπου από από τη η ηθολογία πήγε στα 250 HP που είναι ηχουχουσαλογίαλογία. Στο 228 μου το διατολικό κενό 250 το 2004, μόλις 300.
[/ ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ]
...Ευχαριστώ πολύ...;)

????

jimever

Reaction score
...maybe I did sth wrong...excuse me I write from mobile...the only thing I wanted just to thank you...

Reactions: Ky Grady

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just be aware that the 2005 and older 208s are lighter and will squat in the stern with a 250. I was able to remedy this by adding 200 lbs of sand in the place of the porta potty. The boat runs a lot better upsea (cuts through instead of bouncing) and the downsea handling was not affected. My friend did not have to add weight with his 1995 208 he repowered with a 2017 Suzuki 150. Same for my friend with a 1985 overnighter (pre-sv2) and a 2008 yamaha 150; no additional ballast was needed to counterweight the engine. The new inline 4 200s seem to be the sweet spot for the 208 unless you really need the extra hp (and there are situations/people who really do).

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just be aware that the 2005 and older 208s are lighter and will squat in the stern with a 250. I was able to remedy this by adding 200 lbs of sand in the place of the porta potty. The boat runs a lot better upsea (cuts through instead of bouncing) and the downsea handling was not affected. My friend did not have to add weight with his 1995 208 he repowered with a 2017 Suzuki 150. Same for my friend with a 1985 overnighter (pre-sv2) and a 2008 yamaha 150; no additional ballast was needed to counterweight the engine. The new inline 4 200s seem to be the sweet spot for the 208 unless you really need the extra hp (and there are situations/people who really do).

That’s really good info to know. I appreciate the help. The boat of choice is the 208 from new to 8 yrs old. Looks the the 200 Yamaha will do just fine. I found the same thing in my research and you have made it conclusive. Would a 150 under power the boat given the age of the boat I’m looking to buy or would you go with the 200 Yamaha and call it a day?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That’s really good info to know. I appreciate the help. The boat of choice is the 208 from new to 8 yrs old. Looks the the 200 Yamaha will do just fine. I found the same thing in my research and you have made it conclusive. Would a 150 under power the boat given the age of the boat I’m looking to buy or would you go with the 200 Yamaha and call it a day?

Think of the 2006+ models as having an extra person hanging out in the cuddy compared to the older/lighter models and it should give you a general idea of how the performance will be affected.

My friend with the 1995 208 and a Suzuki 150 runs his boat with 3 other people and 200-300 lbs of ice in conditions would keep most people home; something about fish biting better in rough water. He has never complained about lacking power or having to keep the throttle pinned so I wouldn’t be deterred by a 150 unless you’re consistently running fully loaded/heavy.

That said, if you’re making long runs over 30+ miles the 200 might provide better efficiency at cruising speed. You could also use the extra power if you have to cross bars/inlets regularly in bad weather as the increased midrange torque will help to keep the boat on plane and more predictable under heavy loads.

No matter what engine you can probably gain some performance by dialing in the height setting and the prop diameter/pitch to your application.

Reactions: Sdfish and jimever

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, I was going to ask about what kind of range can I get out of my 208. I'm not running to the Bahamas from where I am :) but good to know it has the range to do the Fla run to Bahama.
Looking to make a 30 35 mile run at some point this season. I have been fishing my 208 with the SV2 hull since the day I got it in 1993. She will take 6 ft, but you wont. I fish within 10-12 miles from the coast like many Long Islander and 2-4 isn't a problem until the wind machine comes on, then its all different. I run w/o a hardtop so your mileage may vary, but in a 208 in 4 footer with the wind in your face, you're not "running" anywhere. 10-15 knots is more realistic. Personally I like the cabin, I wish I was a bit smaller so the walkaround would't be so difficult to navigate.:rolleyes: The open bow has no appeal to me as a fishing boat. The 208 really is like a tiny sportfisherman. As far as the cabin being useful in Fla. only the guys is Fla can tell you
Running a 175 E-Tec, it has plenty of power and dont see the need for 200 or 230 unless it had a hardtop or you're using it exclusively for offshore fishing where you will carrying big tackle, lots of ice and pelagics on the way back hopefully

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 1999 208 with Yamaha F150 on it. 3 guys fishing, 38 gallon kodiak bait tank, 60lbs of ice, no hardtop and she goes fine for me. It does not struggle to get on plane and I regularly get 3mpg. I usually don't have conditions to go faster that 20 mph. My runs are 60 miles round trip and I burn 20 gallons.

I wish I had a hard top - that would impact my performance.

I may start to experiment with props - I have no clue on how to do this though. I have SS 15 in prop - don't know more than that. Holokai made some suggestions in another thread, so the research begins.

A few things I love about the 208, single engine and I can tow with my 4 runner 4x4. Anytime I think of going bigger, I need to factor in the cost of tow vehicle...

Reactions: jimever and Holokai

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, I was going to ask about what kind of range can I get out of my 208. I'm not running to the Bahamas from where I am :) but good to know it has the range to do the Fla run to Bahama.
Looking to make a 30 35 mile run at some point this season. I have been fishing my 208 with the SV2 hull since the day I got it in 1993. She will take 6 ft, but you wont. I fish within 10-12 miles from the coast like many Long Islander and 2-4 isn't a problem until the wind machine comes on, then its all different. I run w/o a hardtop so your mileage may vary, but in a 208 in 4 footer with the wind in your face, you're not "running" anywhere. 10-15 knots is more realistic. Personally I like the cabin, I wish I was a bit smaller so the walkaround would't be so difficult to navigate.:rolleyes: The open bow has no appeal to me as a fishing boat. The 208 really is like a tiny sportfisherman. As far as the cabin being useful in Fla. only the guys is Fla can tell you
Running a 175 E-Tec, it has plenty of power and dont see the need for 200 or 230 unless it had a hardtop or you're using it exclusively for offshore fishing where you will carrying big tackle, lots of ice and pelagics on the way back hopefully

That helps me a lot. I too plan on running out 20-30 miles. According to a friend of mine that has been a charter captain for over 40 yrs, that would be the limit mile wise. His thinking being getting out and back. With challenging weather it will take longer and more gas. Going up and down waves consumes more fuel. It’s always good to come back with some in the reserves, which makes sense. That boat is really designed for that type of milage. Further, my guess a bigger vessel with more everything including fuel tanks.

I really like the info as to the conditions she’ll take. Gives me a better perspective. The hardtop... yep, plan on one of those. I like it’s characteristics ,shade from the sun, rocket launchers , extra space for electronics etc. So, it looks like I’ll be needing the 200-four. Yahmy of course. Don’t like the more complicated electronics on the engine, less to go wrong.

Reactions: jimever

jimever

Reaction score
I may start to experiment with props - I have no clue on how to do this though. I have SS 15 in prop - don't know more than that. Holokai made some suggestions in another thread, so the research begins.

Please if it is easy for you or for Holokai...give the thread to read it...it will help a lot.

The infos from all of you are very interesting...and they are from your each experience.

Here in Greece 8 to 10 people they buy a rib,so it is difficult to share my experience with them.208 I had known it from a friend about 15 years ago...it had a yamaha F225 and run it very well but my experience it was just this.Holokai gave me more thoughts to think-hard top,weather etc.
The last 10 days I lost my sleep to watch on yt,208 sales and ''stories'' at the sea.If you have time and see them you will see sales of 208 with many types of engines mostly with 2 stroke and some with 4 stroke.The condition on the videos I think is similar...similar equipment on the boats,empty boats from liquids,same weather etc.There you can see the time of plane and you can listen the sound of the engines.Of course we don't know the prop of each engine which is very important info but may be a little help to our discussion.

Of course the most important is the experience from the owners.