Small Offshore Comparison’s

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Good idea. I will. I am looking to buy used. I will be looking for a boat 2-8yrs old . There are a lot of boats out there that people bought and rot. I’m going to be looking between 50 and 75 to spend. My only concern in Florida is the heat with a cuddy.
what are your thoughts?

Some say a cuddy is hot. I take my boat to Florida every year. While on the troll we sometimes pop the front hatch and nap in the cuddy. At 5-6 mph on the troll it's comfortable and you're in the shade. While on the reef we will open the side windows and maybe pop the hatch and its comfortable. It's less warm than being in the sun on the deck that's for sure. Is it 72 and cool? No,but it's not a hot house either.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
Some say a cuddy is hot. I take my boat to Florida every year. While on the troll we sometimes pop the front hatch and nap in the cuddy. At 5-6 mph on the troll it's comfortable and you're in the shade. While on the reef we will open the side windows and maybe pop the hatch and its comfortable. It's less warm than being in the sun on the deck that's for sure. Is it 72 and cool? No,but it's not a hot house either.
Thanks SmokyMtnGrady. Being a hothouse was a real concern. Do you run the East or west coast of FL?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 208 and fish out of Southern CA. I routinely take it out 30+ miles, but our weather is predictable and I know when not to go out.
Sounds like you are more daring than me and I think the weather is less predictable in FLA, I would also recommend a boat with closed transom.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 208 and fish out of Southern CA. I routinely take it out 30+ miles, but our weather is predictable and I know when not to go out.
Sounds like you are more daring than me and I think the weather is less predictable in FLA, I would also recommend a boat with closed transom.
Got it. is the 208 a closed transom?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just commented on this subject in another thread.

Wave heights are thrown around and often, (honestly I'm sure,) overestimated. A magnificent author wrote years ago:

"As any judge knows, eyewitnesses may honestly disagree."

Therefore, this is not meant to knock anyone's judgement, it is just to offer perspective.

The 208 and/or the Seafarer has a freeboard of roughly two feet, maybe a little over. So, if your seas are higher than the top of the gunwale, your looking at 2-3 footers. Your choice of boats that your considering will pound and ride rough in those conditions. I had a Seafarer. I know this. With tabs deployed and running at slow speeds, you can mitigate the pounding, but at the end of the day, it's a small boat for significant offshore runs, which you are planning on.

I must enter my usual caveat describing the type of seas. I am referring to localized wind chop which is common on the Gulf side of Fla. Not the long period swells spawned from distant storms.

It is certainly safe; there is a big difference between safe and uncomfortable. This is where the personality and the sheer will of the Capt & Crew come into play. The same 3 footers that would keep me at the dock would be speed bumps to Skunkboat on his way to bag whatever fish he is after that particular day.

It's easy for me to spend your money in this Covid-ravaged economy, but the bigger the better for what your after. By the way, I'm in Fla, and I understand the rhythm of the waters here.

Good hunting! it's a great problem to have.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just commented on this subject in another thread.

Wave heights are thrown around and often, (honestly I'm sure,) overestimated. A magnificent author wrote years ago:

"As any judge knows, eyewitnesses may honestly disagree."

Therefore, this is not meant to knock anyone's judgement, it is just to offer perspective.

The 208 and/or the Seafarer has a freeboard of roughly two feet, maybe a little over. So, if your seas are higher than the top of the gunwale, your looking at 2-3 footers. Your choice of boats that your considering will pound and ride rough in those conditions. I had a Seafarer. I know this. With tabs deployed and running at slow speeds, you can mitigate the pounding, but at the end of the day, it's a small boat for significant offshore runs, which you are planning on.

I must enter my usual caveat describing the type of seas. I am referring to localized wind chop which is common on the Gulf side of Fla. Not the long period swells spawned from distant storms.

It is certainly safe; there is a big difference between safe and uncomfortable. This is where the personality and the sheer will of the Capt & Crew come into play. The same 3 footers that would keep me at the dock would be speed bumps to Skunkboat on his way to bag whatever fish he is after that particular day.

It's easy for me to spend your money in this Covid-ravaged economy, but the bigger the better for what your after. By the way, I'm in Fla, and I understand the rhythm of the waters here.

Good hunting! it's a great problem to have.

I understand and get your point. They are smaller boats. Not the Grady 306 I ran a couple of years ago. Sounds like like those smaller boats are safe in the 2-3 ft wave range in the bays, intercoastals and gulf offshore with a max up to 20 to 30 miles out. 30’s probably pushing it should conditions change out there. Which they do.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think that's a realistic viewpoint. However, if you get caught and have to slog back thru bad stuff, the Seafarer will get you home safely unless your in a Cat 1 or something. As I mentioned, uncomfortable and safe are two different situations.

One more thing; (my Columbo imitation) the 2-3 footers I referred to above are the most uncomfortable on the head or quarter.. Anything beam-to or down sea abaft the beam will be a nice sleigh ride. Grady's are not athwartship-sensitive hulls so it'll feel pretty stable for a 22.

I have not had any experience on a 208, but guessing it ballparks a Seafarer in ride characteristics.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks SmokyMtnGrady. Being a hothouse was a real concern. Do you run the East or west coast of FL?

I predominantly run on the east coast. I try to get to the Keys as much as I can..I have taken her to Panama City and over at Cape San Blas / St. Joe Bay. I have taken her to the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas, Pamlico Sound,Beaufort NC, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, St. George and Charleston ,SC too. We use her to explore the world as much as we can.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I predominantly run on the east coast. I try to get to the Keys as much as I can..I have taken her to Panama City and over at Cape San Blas / St. Joe Bay. I have taken her to the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas, Pamlico Sound,Beaufort NC, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, St. George and Charleston ,SC too. We use her to explore the world as much as we can.

looks like a great adventure to me SmokyMtnGrady. Your experiences are my thoughts.
Thank you for your insight and inspiration for me to buy the 208.
it really looks like boat with a lot of possibilities as well as it’s maneuverabilities. I’ve read that it can be a one man boat. I like that. The mrs., Max the dog and me won’t be going out all the time. I’m sure I’ll be going out and bending a rod in the gulf. From what I’ve read a very sea-worthy boat that can handle most conditions. I also like the cuddy and it’s capabilities. Although, I’m not certain how it will be in 90 degree weather? Is it a hot box in that kind of temperature or with the windows and hatches open that much cooler? This is where a 215 has it’s considerations. I’m also thinking a Yamaha 200 is preferred to.

Any additional thoughts on your end?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
looks like a great adventure to me SmokyMtnGrady. Your experiences are my thoughts.
Thank you for your insight and inspiration for me to buy the 208.
it really looks like boat with a lot of possibilities as well as it’s maneuverabilities. I’ve read that it can be a one man boat. I like that. The mrs., Max the dog and me won’t be going out all the time. I’m sure I’ll be going out and bending a rod in the gulf. From what I’ve read a very sea-worthy boat that can handle most conditions. I also like the cuddy and it’s capabilities. Although, I’m not certain how it will be in 90 degree weather? Is it a hot box in that kind of temperature or with the windows and hatches open that much cooler? This is where a 215 has it’s considerations. I’m also thinking a Yamaha 200 is preferred to.

Any additional thoughts on your end?

With ventilation the cuddy is no warmer than being under your hard top. We take naps in it while on the toll off of Port Canaveral in 90 degree heat. If the ambient air temp in the shade is 90 the cabin might not be any cooler than that unless you are moving with air flow through it then it will feel cooler. It is cooler than being on the deck in full sun.

I mainly troll and I have a special needs kid, who turns 22 this month, so my need for a center console is zero. If you bottom fish and use the front of the boat to do that the a center console is an option for you. Now with that said, the cabin is a nice place for your pup to get out of the sun or rain . On a small boat the set up of the 208 does give you more weather protection than a similar size center console.

I value the weather protection and shade more than having an open bow center console. I created a post on the photos page about the places I have gone with my boat over 11 years of ownership. Check it out of you already have not. I use my boat for cruising and sand bar , coral reef exploring more than I do for fishing too. Don't get me wrong I love to fish, but if you look at days used for fishing versus all the other stuff it might be 30% fishing 70% wandering .

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With ventilation the cuddy is no warmer than being under your hard top. We take naps in it while on the toll off of Port Canaveral in 90 degree heat. If the ambient air temp in the shade is 90 the cabin might not be any cooler than that unless you are moving with air flow through it then it will feel cooler. It is cooler than being on the deck in full sun.

I mainly troll and I have a special needs kid, who turns 22 this month, so my need for a center console is zero. If you bottom fish and use the front of the boat to do that the a center console is an option for you. Now with that said, the cabin is a nice place for your pup to get out of the sun or rain . On a small boat the set up of the 208 does give you more weather protection than a similar size center console.

I value the weather protection and shade more than having an open bow center console. I created a post on the photos page about the places I have gone with my boat over 11 years of ownership. Check it out of you already have not. I use my boat for cruising and sand bar , coral reef exploring more than I do for fishing too. Don't get me wrong I love to fish, but if you look at days used for fishing versus all the other stuff it might be 30% fishing 70% wandering .

I definitely like what your talking about. It makes a lot of sense. This puts thing into perspective for me with this boat. Which I more than likely will buy. I’ve checked all the boxes on this vessel. I’ve also compared it to many, many others.

A big happy birthday to your special person. I’m not interested in a center console either. I’ve had two and have a lot of good memories there. I’ve been on the water my whole life. Born and raised in a beach house on Lake Erie.

i like the idea of the weather protection. I’ll definitely check out your pictures. I was hoping you had some. My boat usage will probably be similar to yours with a little more fishing time on my end. That’ll probably mean a little grab the boat time heading out into the gulf by myself. Not everyone around me has an anchoring for the water like I do.

How do I locate your pictures on this site? I just started on this one.
Thanks again and happy trails. I look forward to seeing your adventures as I will share mine when I get my 208 after the first.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I love my cabin boat. In rough water, rain, hot sun, etc. the hard top with enclosure is the way to go. I wash my rods down with fresh water and put them in the cabin on the way home. I live in south fla and fish the keys all year round.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I love my cabin boat. In rough water, rain, hot sun, etc. the hard top with enclosure is the way to go. I wash my rods down with fresh water and put them in the cabin on the way home. I live in south fla and fish the keys all year round.

Howdy neighbor to the south. I’m up here in Nokomis just south of Sarasota. I like the idea of the hardtop and the idea of the fresh water. I was toying around with that one. Sounds like you hit some blue water. I like that idea. I’ve seen some 208’s running with a 150. Looks to be a little under powered? I was think a 200 Yamaha. What are your thoughts? I was also wondering about the hardtop on this boat and top swaying. Is that an issue?

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would probably want the 200. I like having a little extra under the hood for outrunning storms and handling through rough offshore seas. I have had no problem with swaying with my hard top. Mine is a 1988 24 offshore with a 250 4 stroke Yamaha. I have no problem fishing 25 miles offshore in the keys when it is blowing 20 knots. It is a rough ride, but with the Grady hull, I have no safety concerns I beefed up the hard top mounts to the cabin since I bang through 4-6 ft sometimes. I do prefer a closed transom for the type of waters I go into. Especially fishing the humps in the keys.

Attachments

• 3AA97F8A-6238-41F0-B5E3-DA4E1C5408BA.jpeg
    3AA97F8A-6238-41F0-B5E3-DA4E1C5408BA.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 12
  • BF86E3AC-71DE-4E02-91F0-7026ED4C18FB.jpeg
    BF86E3AC-71DE-4E02-91F0-7026ED4C18FB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One thing to watch on the hard top. Be sure it is a factory installed hard top or a good custom hard top. The universals are not as strong for the blue water application.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you are looking to keep the price down on getting a bigger hull, don’t be afraid to get an older hull. My 1988 is a tank. Sometimes you can score a deal on an older boat and make out well.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you are looking to keep the price down on getting a bigger hull, don’t be afraid to get an older hull. My 1988 is a tank. Sometimes you can score a deal on an older boat and make out well.

Got it. I will be looking for a used 208 in the 2-10 yr range. I’m seeing some boughts and rots. Meaning they buy and don’t usem. Definitely the best way to go. After I get the boat, I’ll probably do an adventure ride down in that neck of the woods. I also like the idea on the 200-250.

Thanks for the help.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That sounds great. Look for the enclosed transom. That is huge. If you are looking to do a lot of blue water, try for a 228. The extra 2 ft goes a long way offshore. If you ride in one In rough seas, you will appreciate it immensely. I have traveled about 1300 miles of open water so far this year.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That sounds great. Look for the enclosed transom. That is huge. If you are looking to do a lot of blue water, try for a 228. The extra 2 ft goes a long way offshore. If you ride in one In rough seas, you will appreciate it immensely. I have traveled about 1300 miles of open water so far this year.

I may have to rethink the 208 for the 228. Your not the first to mention that. I heard that down by you and on the west coast too. My only concern is when I’m a one man band with a trailer...is a 228 doable?

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Absolutely. I load my 24 offshore by myself. Sometimes I have the luxury of having my wife pull the truck up the ramp but I am the one that drives it up and hooks up the bow eye. I trained her on how to pull the truck up using two feet so the boat doesn’t go backwards before going forward up the ramp. I do suggest sliders on the bunks. They are wonderful.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady