Small Offshore Comparison’s

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I may have to rethink the 208 for the 228. Your not the first to mention that. I heard that down by you and on the west coast too. My only concern is when I’m a one man band with a trailer...is a 228 doable?
All of my ramp work is solo on the 228 as my wife is busy keeping the kids alive; never had an issue and I am far from an expert.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I fish a 208 in Hawaii and we often have a mix of windswell on top of long period ground swell. The 208 handles very well for its size and we regularly fish up to 25 miles offshore in less than ideal conditions. I’ve been out on small craft advisory days and the boat has been predictable in large following seas and is nimble enough to confidently run in the trough or quarter up/down sea.

With a Suzuki 250 we burn under 3 gph trolling at 6-7 kts but for offshore fishing one of the newer inline 200s would probably give a better mix of power, fuel economy, and weight.

While the walkaround does allow water to flow to the cockpit I’ve never found it to pool though an express design would keep the cockpit drier.

Regarding the next step up; a 228 will give you more deck space but the ride in a 226/228 will only be incrementally better than the 208 though they can have a significantly better range of outfitted with the auxiliary fuel tank.

If budget allows maybe an Express would fit your needs better but you could get away with a 208/226/228 if you pick your days. Any of these boats can’t be launched and retrieved solo. For solo docking you can look up using a spring line to cleat; it helps in current/windy conditions.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Howdy neighbor to the south. I’m up here in Nokomis just south of Sarasota. I like the idea of the hardtop and the idea of the fresh water. I was toying around with that one. Sounds like you hit some blue water. I like that idea. I’ve seen some 208’s running with a 150. Looks to be a little under powered? I was think a 200 Yamaha. What are your thoughts? I was also wondering about the hardtop on this boat and top swaying. Is that an issue?

I know two people running 208s with 150s. For offshore use you won’t be running WOT often so you really don’t need the extra 50-100 hp unless you’re running really heavy. My friends burn between 1.8-2.4 gph while trolling so they have a lot better range than I do with the 250.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
I fish a 208 in Hawaii and we often have a mix of windswell on top of long period ground swell. The 208 handles very well for its size and we regularly fish up to 25 miles offshore in less than ideal conditions. I’ve been out on small craft advisory days and the boat has been predictable in large following seas and is nimble enough to confidently run in the trough or quarter up/down sea.

With a Suzuki 250 we burn under 3 gph trolling at 6-7 kts but for offshore fishing one of the newer inline 200s would probably give a better mix of power, fuel economy, and weight.

While the walkaround does allow water to flow to the cockpit I’ve never found it to pool though an express design would keep the cockpit drier.

Regarding the next step up; a 228 will give you more deck space but the ride in a 226/228 will only be incrementally better than the 208 though they can have a significantly better range of outfitted with the auxiliary fuel tank.

If budget allows maybe an Express would fit your needs better but you could get away with a 208/226/228 if you pick your days. Any of these boats can’t be launched and retrieved solo. For solo docking you can look up using a spring line to cleat; it helps in current/windy conditions.

That helps me a lot. Now I have a much better idea where I stand as far as which Grady i’ll buy. I’ve been on a roll coaster ride between the 208 and the 228 not to mention the 215 and the 205 and in that order too.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know two people running 208s with 150s. For offshore use you won’t be running WOT often so you really don’t need the extra 50-100 hp unless you’re running really heavy. My friends burn between 1.8-2.4 gph while trolling so they have a lot better range than I do with the 250.

Got it. I really thought there would be a big difference. I’m not running a Contender. I want to get there and back given the offshore changes in weather that will occur. Looks like a newer 208 and the possibility of a newer 228 down the road.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 199 208 with 2019 Yamaha F150. On an average run of 60 or so miles with 50% trolling at 7-8 mph and the rest at 18-20mph off-shore, I get 3 mpg. This is with 2 adults and a full 38 gallon bait tank. It suits my needs just fine. I do not have a hard top (I wish I did.....)

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I definitely like what your talking about. It makes a lot of sense. This puts thing into perspective for me with this boat. Which I more than likely will buy. I’ve checked all the boxes on this vessel. I’ve also compared it to many, many others.

A big happy birthday to your special person. I’m not interested in a center console either. I’ve had two and have a lot of good memories there. I’ve been on the water my whole life. Born and raised in a beach house on Lake Erie.

i like the idea of the weather protection. I’ll definitely check out your pictures. I was hoping you had some. My boat usage will probably be similar to yours with a little more fishing time on my end. That’ll probably mean a little grab the boat time heading out into the gulf by myself. Not everyone around me has an anchoring for the water like I do.

How do I locate your pictures on this site? I just started on this one.
Thanks again and happy trails. I look forward to seeing your adventures as I will share mine when I get my 208 after the first.

I created a thread in the photos page called oh the places we have been. You go the main thread tree and scroll down until you see the photos threads ..it's in there.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I may have to rethink the 208 for the 228. Your not the first to mention that. I heard that down by you and on the west coast too. My only concern is when I’m a one man band with a trailer...is a 228 doable?

Yes, yes it is doable. When Grady stuck the bracket on that hull they maximized every inch of that boat. The cockpit aft area is nice. Check one out and sea trial it and the 208 . Then decide I suggest.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, yes it is doable. When Grady stuck the bracket on that hull they maximized every inch of that boat. The cockpit aft area is nice. Check one out and sea trial it and the 208 . Then decide I suggest.

got

That sounds like a plan.
Take care and keep in touch.
I’ll be looking for more of your adventures.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I created a thread in the photos page called oh the places we have been. You go the main thread tree and scroll down until you see the photos threads ..it's in there.

I went

i checked the threads on the upper left and couldn’t find the photo threads. I did find media pics but, no pic threads?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in the solo launch and retrieve group also with my 228. My wife, love her dearly, is absolutely no help at all when it comes to handling the boat or the truck and trailer. The 228 is very manageable by yourself, don't let that scare you away from it. There is so much more room on a 228 compared to a 208. I travel with my 228 all the time, just got back from Florida last night, heading up to Lake Erie in September them back down to South Carolina the end of October. I use it on the lake here also during the summer. I do get strange looks when I'm on Lake Cumberland here at home, with my offshore boat on an inland lake in Kentucky. Considered upsizing to a 282, but chose not to due to the solo handling and the size since I trailer everywhere I go. The 228 does everything I want to do.

You really need to take a ride on both. Pretty sure the 228 will win you over.

Anchored up in a cove on Lake Cumberland.
20200607_133318.jpg

Anchored up off Big Sarasota Pass on the sandbar this past week.

20200630_125941.jpg

Last year anchored on the sandbar on Three Rooker Key off of Tarpon Springs.

20190702_151259.jpg

Fishing with the guys in South Carolina. Buddy took this from his boat.

IMG950589.jpg

Finest Kind

Reaction score
.... My only concern in Florida is the heat with a cuddy.
what are your thoughts?
The FlaDa heat can really build up inside the cuddy cabin, especially when stored during the summer as I do.
A couple years ago I had my curtains stored inside the cabin, laid flat on the bunk, with old towels placed between the curtain layers to cushion and protect against scratches.....it got SO HOT in there during storage that when I returned and uncovered everything in the fall, the plastic of the curtains had a pattern from the nape of the towels etched into the plastic!

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in the solo launch and retrieve group also with my 228. My wife, love her dearly, is absolutely no help at all when it comes to handling the boat or the truck and trailer. The 228 is very manageable by yourself, don't let that scare you away from it. There is so much more room on a 228 compared to a 208. I travel with my 228 all the time, just got back from Florida last night, heading up to Lake Erie in September them back down to South Carolina the end of October. I use it on the lake here also during the summer. I do get strange looks when I'm on Lake Cumberland here at home, with my offshore boat on an inland lake in Kentucky. Considered upsizing to a 282, but chose not to due to the solo handling and the size since I trailer everywhere I go. The 228 does everything I want to do.

View attachment 14594

View attachment 14595

View attachment 14596

View attachment 14597

Sweet. The 228 is a highly recommended boat to suit my needs. I’ll be looking to buy after the first. That is a nice looking boat and I am looking for used with that model.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lake Erie, I was born and raised on a beach house there. If your looking to upsize, I may have an interest after the first.

We fish out of the Lakeside-Marblehead area. Out around Kelly's and South Bass. Thanks, but I don't see me upsizing anytime soon.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

View attachment 14594

View attachment 14595

View attachment 14596

View attachment 14597
Hey KY. Is that dive platform a stock Grady item? I really like that. My 24 has the enclosed transom also. Wondering if the 24 offshore has one that would fit.

Attachments

• 1F6D53DA-E4C5-493C-84C2-BF6213AAAEDE.jpeg
    1F6D53DA-E4C5-493C-84C2-BF6213AAAEDE.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 8