The Official KY Smoky Keys Thread

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looks about normal out there. 15kt+ SE winds; looks like you took the shot as the Seafarer was rolling to one side....Water should be a tad over 80 degrees by now, I would think.

If you spend much time on a mooring ball out there with a prevailing SE wind, watch for the occasional Man-O-War on his way in from the Caribbean. They have the potential to ruin the day if they tag you with those tentacles.

Hope all is going well!

Reactions: Ky Grady

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thurs & Fri are your days...

A ridge of Hi Pressure East of you is causing the fairly normal ESE flow. A trough is approaching the Fla Mainland later this week that will likely (hopefully!) weaken the winds around the Hi. You'll have some residual groundswell, but hopefully winds 10kts or less Thurs-Fri.

If the cold front associated with the trough pushes all the way thru, the winds will veer North and increase some over the weekend.

Have at it.....

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The East wind is a PITA. Reef is too rough. Offshore no way. Small boat problem. The swell makes it a tough day especially with family. My Feb/Mar this year was mostly that. You can troll it - run down in the back, duck out, fish up, duck back in, runs back. You do have the bay too behind Marathon.

We tried to fish every day! Make the best of it and have fun!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My sunburned face. Met KY at the Sunset Grill on Knights Key at the eastern foot of the 7 Mile Bridge for dinner. He has a great crew with him. We are going to meet up in the morning and go troll for some dolphin. I hope I feel better in the morning. Took some Advil and applied generous after sun product. I need to lose some weight. lol.

received_3840630752720888.jpegreceived_944376273041757.jpeg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I see tacos in your future!
We made some tonight! yummy. I blackened them.

I was on KYs boat. Trying to show them what I knew . We got several dolphin and a bigger than football blackfin tuna! I think they had a great time . I did .

Reactions: sneakattack

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's our contribution. Had a good first day trolling for Mahi. At least we didn't get skunked. 3 keepers, 2 shorts, 1 miss and a Black Fin. And all this on my own boat with Smoky giving pointers and direction. Happy with the first adventure. Tomorrow is a snorkeling day. Trailering up to John Pennycamp and put in.

20210511_204456.jpg20210511_204749.jpg20210511_113420.jpg20210511_132959.jpg20210511_141148.jpg

mhinch

Reaction score
There has to be such a satisfying feeling to get that pristine boat so bloody! Well done and thx so much for sharing. Stay safe and enjoy

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I was thinking about the same. that deck sure was messy for such a pretty boat. I would be scrubbing and polishing all night:)

Last edited:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nice catch, guys!

You sure lucked out on the winds. The last time I was down there in May it looked like this:

View attachment 20672
Doc: I wrote above that an approaching trough in the SE would interrupt the ESE flow around the Bermuda Hi. The wind wasn't forecast to drop 'till Thursday though. From the offshore shots, they just had groundswell and nothing over 10kts.

I don't get the fishing stuff, but glad they're having fun.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Spring can be awful in the Keys. We stopped planning trips ahead of time and will shoot down if there is a a stretch of good days. Sucks heading down and the boat never leaves the trailer - lol. Glad you got some fishing in!