Trolling Motor for 208

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Any thoughts and especially pictures of mounting solutions for trolling motor and battery locations on a 208 would be appreciated. If I look at thrust requirements it seems that I will need 36v or three batteries to have around 100lb thrust. If anybody is successfully using 80lbs that would be good to know as I could run that at 24v. I don’t think I can get three batteries in back. Perhaps in the hole in front of the porta potti? I can build a hold down bracket and a small step/cover. Charger and dockside power connection location can be flexible.

I am doing a decent amount of solo fishing, so the GPS spot lock and drift functions on the new motors would be really cool. Barnegat Bay, Barnegat Inlet, inshore and a bit of farther out from there, currents around the Inlet can be pretty strong.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't have the same boat, nor do I have a kicker motor on my 228 Seafarer. Until someone else responds, here are a few decent threads on the same topic you're considering doing. In regards to picking which kicker motor to go with, I'd personally go with a Suzuki 9.9 because it has EFI option, compared to the Yamaha 9.9 which is carbureted. On top of that, the Suzuki is going to have a 12 amp alternator as opposed to the Yamaha which only has 6 amps of charging power. Double the charging power and having EFI would make me go with Suzuki all day everyday. Lastly, the weight difference between the two is going to be negligible with the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust being 116 lbs for the 25" shaft version compared to 120-125 lbs for the Suzuki 9.9, depending on the model.

Last edited:

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for all the links and thoughts on a gas trolling motors, appreciate that. For my purposes I’m thinking of an electric, bow mounted GPS controlled motor.

The bow-mount motors are great for holding a spot over structure without anchoring, controlling a drift in a narrow channel or over ocean bottom structure and going for species that don’t like noise. I spent a couple of days on a boat with this set up. It was awesome in reducing effort and increasing fishing productivity. Fishing solo there are places I can’t really fish and drive the boat.

Of course a new Yamaha Helmaster EX system can do all of this (except ultra quiet) and a bunch of other things. The electric GPS trolling motor set-ups are expensive but not nearly as much as an entire new digital motor and Helmaster EX. They don’t look nice up on the foredeck, that’s a bummer.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the links and thoughts on a gas trolling motors, appreciate that. For my purposes I’m thinking of an electric, bow mounted GPS controlled motor.

The bow-mount motors are great for holding a spot over structure without anchoring, controlling a drift in a narrow channel or over ocean bottom structure and going for species that don’t like noise. I spent a couple of days on a boat with this set up. It was awesome in reducing effort and increasing fishing productivity. Fishing solo there are places I can’t really fish and drive the boat.

Of course a new Yamaha Helmaster EX system can do all of this (except ultra quiet) and a bunch of other things. The electric GPS trolling motor set-ups are expensive but not nearly as much as an entire new digital motor and Helmaster EX. They don’t look nice up on the foredeck, that’s a bummer.
Some information here....

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Some information here....

Oh that last one I missed in my search. My bow mount would need to be different as I have a pulpit and windlass. I could see losing the windlass as most of the anchoring where I am at is in only 10-15 feet of water.
I hadn’t thought of putting the batteries in the bilge are under the cabin. Will have to check that out! Thank You

Reactions: Mustang65fbk