Yamaha Factory techs we’re wrong.

FISHNFF

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will go into more detail on my electronics upgrade in another thread, but I want to emphasize how not all internet is correct.

I own a 2005 Yamaha F250TRXD
Serial number 6P2 x 1002632N
Manufactured March 2005
Mounted on a 2001 226 Seafarer
Upgraded from original 2-stroke Yamaha.

through online charts and speaking directly to 2 separate Yamaha tech at Yamaha HQ, my motor is said to not able to use command link gauges, and thus unable to display fuel management or any other data through a data backbone. I was on the phone with Yamaha techs asking about the “blue and white wire” plug in my motor, and was told that given the serial number and manufacture date of the motor I do not have said plug. I tried to explain that I had the plug in hand, but I was constantly told that I do not!

Shane McCormick, co-owner of H&M Marine in Sausalito, guaranteed that that blue and white wire plug held all the info.

long story short, Shane is the MAN!!!

All new electronics installed. Super clean job!
Exceeded my expectations!
New display shows
Fuel levels for 2 tanks
Speed
RPM
Engine temperature
Water pressure
Voltage
GPH
MPG
Control troll speed

Just shows what a top notch installer is capable of.

No Ka Oi

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nobody better than Shane of H&M Marine. He has helped me with a few things on my engine via face time and I'm in Oregon. Great shop and great staff.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some engines in that year can do it...some cant (at least thats what my research tells me). I have not had the balls to buy everything for mine and find out if it works, would be happy to just run it to the chartplotter via NMEA if i knew it would work.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Some engines in that year can do it...some cant (at least thats what my research tells me). I have not had the balls to buy everything for mine and find out if it works, would be happy to just run it to the chartplotter via NMEA if i knew it would work.
I have 2006 F150's. Using old gauges. Blue connector was in the motor. Ordered two cables and pulled them. Installed NMEA2000 backbone. Connected motors and chart plotters. I now have engine information displayed on my Garmin 8612/8610.

Newer chart plotters and engines have a J1939 interface option as well for engine information.

Last edited:

FISHNFF

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Electronics upgrade update!

launched 0500 only to discover nothing happened when I turned the key. Nothing!
Wiggled throttle to make sure it was in neutral. Nope!
Looked got anything obvious like a disconnected wire. Nope.
Checked fuses, even though tilt and gauges worked. Nope.
Now I’ve got my crew on their smart phones looking up issue on the internet and I’m on my back looking at the wires. It must be the neutral start switch.
“brown wires” I’m told. Now I find wires, 2 bundles of 2, one labeled P, other labeled S coming from controller. Bingo!! I pull the 4 prong plug with brown wires apart and jump it with my pocket knife. “OK. Turn the ignition key.
“VROOOM!”
“Yea!”
Try it a few more times to confirm, cut, strip, and splice wires to bypass, and away we go looking for tuna.
It’s a long idle out of the no wake zone. Once clear I hit the throttle. Nothing.
yhe tack briefly jumps to 1400, then settles to 1200. And I notice a red “check engine” light.
I try every combo of connect wires to start, disconnect before throttle up, crawl around and look for anything loose again. Nope. It’s in safety/limp mode. S#/t!!!
Idle back and put boat on trailer.
Servicing dealer in in the same harbor but closed Sunday. Flush motor, rinse boat and trailer, re-park in storage yard I. Harbor, and hook up my 18 Outrage with. f115B Yamaha. Transfer gear and now we’re off again, but it’s 0900 now.
No tuna but made quick limits of rockfish to save the day.

left message with dealer who was able to look at issues Monday. Confirmed neutral switch bad. Also said something about CEL caused by code 123- Electronic throttle valve.
Booooooooooo!!!!

Happy Fouth of July!!!

More to follow

FISHNFF

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I understand that some 2005 model F250’s will be able to transmit data, and some will not. I saw online where someone posted a range of serial numbers of comparable units, and mine was listed as too old (lower serial number) and thus incomparable.

FISHNFF

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unfortunately the Troll function does not work.
All else seems fine.
I tap on the “troll” and message says function nor available with this motor.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have 2006 F150's. Using old gauges. Blue connector was in the motor. Ordered two cables and pulled them. Installed NMEA2000 backbone. Connected motors and chart plotters. I now have engine information displayed on my Garmin 8612/8610.

Newer chart plotters and engines have a J1939 interface option as well for engine information.
I have a 2005 F225, has the connector. Maybe ill buy some things and try it...really just want fuel burn numbers so i had planned on putting the garmin flow sensor in when i found free time.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You only need the NEMA2000 or J1928 cable. Interface already in the motor. Make sure your Garmin has one or the other.

Last edited:

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You only need the NEMA2000 or J1928 cable. Interface already in the motor. Make sure your Garmin has one or the other.
I have a 2005 and 2006 F250s TXR. What cable to you connect to the engine and then assume you connect into the NEMA2000 network for my gatmin7612xsv?

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both are options on my plotter. I dont think i can try the j1939 method direct form engine to plotter, sounds like it has to be engine-commandlink bus bar- plotter (which i dont have). The NMEA can go direct to the engine via backbone. However research indicates some 2005s have the wiring, but need the ECM changed up. I need to pull the cowl, intake and verify ECM part number before i spend 350 bucks on wiring.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I bought the boat in the fall of 2007 with 2006 F150's. I did this cable addition and NMEA2000 interface to my Garmin 4210 chart plotter.
I did it with a $100 cable that you could plug in and test with - if it doesn't work you may be able to return it,
Lowrance 120-37 NMEA 2000 Yamaha Engine

Lowrance Yamaha Engine Interface Cable

Yamaha Engine Interface Cable

Yamaha engine interface cable 4.5 m (15 ft) and T-connector

Connects to Yamaha engines without Yamaha CommandLink Plus system.

• 2006 & newer: F50, T50, F60, T60, F75, F90, F115, LF115, F150, LF150, F200, LF200, F225, F225, F250, LF250.
  • 2006 & newer: Z150, LZ150, VZ150, Z175, Z200, LZ200, VZ225, Z250, LZ250, VZ250, Z300, LZ300, VZ300.
Outputs:
Yamaha 4-Stroke 50-250 | 2-Stroke HDPI 150-350

RPM
Alternator
Voltage
Engine Hours
Engine Temperature
Fuel Pressure
Fuel Rate
Oil Pressure
Trim*
Water Pressure

*Digital trim must be connected by a Yamaha dealer.

*Requires NMEA 2000 network. Kit includes T-connector to connect to a new or existing NMEA 2000 network. Add NMEA 2000 starter kit, part number 000-0124-69, if a network is not already installed.

Works with: NMEA 2000 Compliant Units

Manufacturer Part Number: 120-37

Here is my original post:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you have a Yamaha command link hub then you do not need to go to the engines. Simply plug an adapter cable into a spare device port on the hub and run it to a Nema 2000 net work. Worked with my 2006 motors but I suspect command link is the key. I actually made my own cable by splicing a Nema 2000 drop cable to a command link hub plug.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you have a Yamaha command link hub then you do not need to go to the engines. Simply plug an adapter cable into a spare device port on the hub and run it to a Nema 2000 net work. Worked with my 2006 motors but I suspect command link is the key. I actually made my own cable by splicing a Nema 2000 drop cable to a command link hub plug.
Unfortunately I dont have the command link hub (which allows nmea or j19139 connection). I also havent a need for NMEA network yet either.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Unfortunately I dont have the command link hub (which allows nmea or j19139 connection). I also havent a need for NMEA network yet either.
If you have the connector in the motor and if your chartplotter has NMEA 2000 it's simple enough and cheap enough to test.

Last edited:

big_tuna

Reaction score
I have a f250txrd and I connected the motor up to nmea2000 and have fuel burn info, it's nice. Would like to dump the motor though and get a 300

FISHNFF

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Regarding engine serial number comparability chart, mine was shown as “not comparable”. Showed engine made too soon (low serial number).
I had Command Link hub added.

Update again!
reading online I found a similar situation about Code 123 and low voltage. Had dealer charge batteries and water tested. No more code and motor ran fine!

I am installing 2 new Interstate AGM 24’s to be safe and adding a 3rd to supply a power inverter up forward.

and dealer is replacing neutral start safety switch in binnacle shifter. They go out often?

FISHNFF