Small Offshore Comparison’s

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
Please if it is easy for you or for Holokai...give the thread to read it...it will help a lot.

The infos from all of you are very interesting...and they are from your each experience.

Here in Greece 8 to 10 people they buy a rib,so it is difficult to share my experience with them.208 I had known it from a friend about 15 years ago...it had a yamaha F225 and run it very well but my experience it was just this.Holokai gave me more thoughts to think-hard top,weather etc.
The last 10 days I lost my sleep to watch on yt,208 sales and ''stories'' at the sea.If you have time and see them you will see sales of 208 with many types of engines mostly with 2 stroke and some with 4 stroke.The condition on the videos I think is similar...similar equipment on the boats,empty boats from liquids,same weather etc.There you can see the time of plane and you can listen the sound of the engines.Of course we don't know the prop of each engine which is very important info but may be a little help to our discussion.

Of course the most important is the experience from the owners.

I couldn’t agree more. Our boater’s experiences have taught me a lot. Such as engine sizes to hard tops. I’ll be buying my 208 and need to find out what exactly I’ll need. I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I’ll need. I’m always open to ideas and greatly enjoy hearing and seeing pictures from our fellow captains. I’m fortunate for a friend of mine has been a charter captain. He has fished throughout the gulf side of Florida including the keys for over 40 yrs. He has some good hours fishing with a friend on a 208. I also spend a lot of research time on boats of this size to draw comparisons. I’ve got a pretty good handle as to the compatibility’s of those vessels are.

keep me abreast of things in Greece.

Reactions: jimever

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That helps me a lot. I too plan on running out 20-30 miles. According to a friend of mine that has been a charter captain for over 40 yrs, that would be the limit mile wise. His thinking being getting out and back. With challenging weather it will take longer and more gas. Going up and down waves consumes more fuel. It’s always good to come back with some in the reserves, which makes sense. That boat is really designed for that type of milage. Further, my guess a bigger vessel with more everything including fuel tanks.

I really like the info as to the conditions she’ll take. Gives me a better perspective. The hardtop... yep, plan on one of those. I like it’s characteristics ,shade from the sun, rocket launchers , extra space for electronics etc. So, it looks like I’ll be needing the 200-four. Yahmy of course. Don’t like the more complicated electronics on the engine, less to go wrong.

We run 15-25 miles average from the head buoy and anywhere from 50-80 miles total for the entire day. The most we burn is about 40 gallons with a mix of 20% running and 80% trolling. I have a Suzuki 250 so I’m definitely on the higher end of the fuel burn range.

The optimal 208 setup for me would be a hard top and a 200 (either Suzuki or Yamaha) with electronic throttle and steering, autopilot, and an integrated electronics package. You can probably get 110+ miles of range with that setup in decent weather and still have fuel in reserve at the end of the trip.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Please if it is easy for you or for Holokai...give the thread to read it...it will help a lot.

You can use Google to search the forum faster; type in the following in the search bar on the google site

site:www.greatgrady.com “search term”

Sometimes it’s faster to get information this way than to wait for people to respond. Hope the link helps!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We run 15-25 miles average from the head buoy and anywhere from 50-80 miles total for the entire day. The most we burn is about 40 gallons with a mix of 20% running and 80% trolling. I have a Suzuki 250 so I’m definitely on the higher end of the fuel burn range.

The optimal 208 setup for me would be a hard top and a 200 (either Suzuki or Yamaha) with electronic throttle and steering, autopilot, and an integrated electronics package. You can probably get 110+ miles of range with that setup in decent weather and still have fuel in reserve at the end of the trip.
You also have way more wind and waves to deal with than I do in. I agree with your setup. Luckily I have an older autopilot that works great, that helps with my mpg - no meandering off course - just set it and go straight to the spot.
I dig the look of those Alii Kai boats - what are you thoughts on those?

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's not the size of the boat, It's how you drive it.
Boats always seemed to capsized or swamped by a "freak" wave. Personally I think lot of cases would be due to not driving to the conditions. eg. Too fast trying to outrun the weather. Much of my boating was in a 16 and 18 ft aluminium centre consoles. We would head a long way offshore and have never felt in danger.
We were 60kms offshore on a forecast of 15 knots dropping to 5knots but turned out to be 15k increasing to 25 with gusts to 30. It was a long slow trip back but never felt in danger. Halfway back the motor started to splutter so switched to the second tank which it's own filter. No more problems. Got back and discovered that the breathers on my brand new fuel tank had the vent holes facing forward. That must have been the work experience kid's job. If you have 2 fuel tanks have 2 filters.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You also have way more wind and waves to deal with than I do in. I agree with your setup. Luckily I have an older autopilot that works great, that helps with my mpg - no meandering off course - just set it and go straight to the spot.

it’s a shorter wave spread compared to the Pacific, more chop. Wave heights and crests change fairly quickly. I’ve fished Cabio’s in San Lucos Mexico. Those waves there were a lot bigger and further spread apart, much deeper bluewater. It looks like a 200 Suzz or Yahmy will do it. I agree with you on those two engine manufacturers. From what I’ve heard and seen, much less problematic. Dependability is what I’m after. I’ve run Merc‘s in the past and had few bad experiences but, today, it’s Yamaha and Suzuki. I’ve thought about the autopilot and like that idea. One of my reasons for a hardtop. Thanks for the reinforcement on the autopilot. I wasn’t convinced on that one. Now I’m definitely leaning in that direction.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

I believe by Ali Kai boats you referring to rebuids? I like those thoughts. I rebuilt a Montauk 17 from the hull up and had several years of enjoyment on that boat. ive found that I can get a much bigger bang for my buck. I have also found that I could get into a bigger boat such as a 228 with a closed hull.

jimever

Reaction score

You can use Google to search the forum faster; type in the following in the search bar on the google site

site:www.greatgrady.com “search term”

Sometimes it’s faster to get information this way than to wait for people to respond. Hope the link helps!

...thanks a lot...

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure

Some areas get bad as they get a mix of ground swells from multiple directions with short period windswell on top of it. It can go from relatively calm to victory at sea in a half hour or less; unfortunately that always seems to happen when the fish are biting...

Ali’i Kai boats were made over the span of a few decades and there are several models of each hull as the molds were modified over the years. Most of the ones you find now have been rebuilt from the shell up as the original stringers/floor/transom were prone to rot or termites. As with most Hawaii boats the rebuilt ones usually have the helm pushed far forward with a big built-in fishbox down the middle. They ride pretty well and are mostly used for trolling though the bigger models can be used for bottom fishing as well. I’ve seen the 17 footers out in some insane weather and it’s not uncommon to see them out at buoys (15+ miles offshore) on normal tradewind days.

The consensus “best” small trolling boat here is probably the 17’ Currentline which is similar to a 17’ Olympic hull. There are a few running around with enclosed transoms and twin engines and they handle the rough water better than a lot of 20’ boats.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some areas get bad as they get a mix of ground swells from multiple directions with short period windswell on top of it. It can go from relatively calm to victory at sea in a half hour or less; unfortunately that always seems to happen when the fish are biting...

Ali’i Kai boats were made over the span of a few decades and there are several models of each hull as the molds were modified over the years. Most of the ones you find now have been rebuilt from the shell up as the original stringers/floor/transom were prone to rot or termites. As with most Hawaii boats the rebuilt ones usually have the helm pushed far forward with a big built-in fishbox down the middle. They ride pretty well and are mostly used for trolling though the bigger models can be used for bottom fishing as well. I’ve seen the 17 footers out in some insane weather and it’s not uncommon to see them out at buoys (15+ miles offshore) on normal tradewind days.

The consensus “best” small trolling boat here is probably the 17’ Currentline which is similar to a 17’ Olympic hull. There are a few running around with enclosed transoms and twin engines and they handle the rough water better than a lot of 20’ boats.

I’ve seen it a lot of times when bad weather is around so are the fish. We see that with the Kingfish migrations. In the greatlakes, the salmons. What do you see over there?

Ali’i Kai boats sound like interesting boats. They sound like pretty well made boats with the old stringer system. I belI’ve the old Grady’s had wood in the stringers too. I’d be interested in seeing pictures of the Ali Kai boats. I’m going online to take a closer look too. I’ve seen some nice pictures of the islands. Maui looks to be an interesting place. What kind of fish do you have with each of the islands. How’s the marlin fishing over there? Is it seasonal? Do you go?
Pretty cool stuf over there.
what does Holokai mean?

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve seen it a lot of times when bad weather is around so are the fish. We see that with the Kingfish migrations. In the greatlakes, the salmons. What do you see over there?

Ali’i Kai boats sound like interesting boats. They sound like pretty well made boats with the old stringer system. I belI’ve the old Grady’s had wood in the stringers too. I’d be interested in seeing pictures of the Ali Kai boats. I’m going online to take a closer look too. I’ve seen some nice pictures of the islands. Maui looks to be an interesting place. What kind of fish do you have with each of the islands. How’s the marlin fishing over there? Is it seasonal? Do you go?
Pretty cool stuf over there.
what does Holokai mean?

Ali’i Kai...Queen of the Sea. Interesting boats Holokai. Looks like they have a history in your neck of the woods. How do Grady’s rank over there?

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That’s really good info to know. I appreciate the help. The boat of choice is the 208 from new to 8 yrs old. Looks the the 200 Yamaha will do just fine. I found the same thing in my research and you have made it conclusive. Would a 150 under power the boat given the age of the boat I’m looking to buy or would you go with the 200 Yamaha and call it a day?

I have a 95 Adventure 208 re-powered with a 2007 F150. I run at most with 2-3 ppl, fishing gear and fuel always over 1/2 in Barnegat Bay NJ. (Have not gone offshore yet, but Barnegat Bay is not stranger to snotty weather) There is enough power 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I wish i had a little more power. I cruise 26-28 mph @ 4200 RPM. I bought the boat in its current configuration last winter, If I had my choice I would go for the 200 four stroke, especially with a newer 208 which is slightly heavier in the bow.